How much harder is it cycling in cold weather.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I tend not to ride in winter. I hate the cold and can't muster any enthusiasm for a bike ride in the winter.
The plates holding my pelvis and lower back together are a good reason (excuse) not to venture out.
Roll on summer :becool:

BrynCP

Über Member
For me there are a couple of things:

As others above have said, is I almost come to a stop on corners and anywhere I see anything that could be slippery
In this weather, I may go a week or even two without riding if the weather conditions are poor, so I lose a bit of momentum and motivation.

However, saying that, the final statistics don't really suggest I go much slower overall.

mattobrien

Guru
I ride fewer miles than I ought to have done in November and December, so when it came to picking up the distance a little towards the end of dec I haven't been as fast as I used to be.

This time of year I tend to ride with friends more than in the summer and chat a bit too, which I suspect means going slower than on my own when I am, pushing on and wouldn't have the breath to talk.

I can't seem to get my heart rate up this time of year either. Yesterday I pushed on a little and had an average heart rate of 149 and an average of 19.1mph. In the summer months everything seems easier and the heart rate is mid 150's on a reasonable run and higher when on full bore. Average speed is up too.

Oh, and my winter bike weighs half as much again as my summer bike.

Roll on warmer weather.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There's a US study which calculated that we 're having to put 17% more effort in winter.

They based it on the density of the air, the drag of the extra clothing and the increased resistance in the pedalling (extra layers restrict movement)

then there's the greater likelihood of being slightly ill. If you're fit you don't realise you're ill until you put in a strenuous effort.

I'm amazed just how much snot my nose produces on cold days.
running-nose.gif
I think I loose more fluid through my nose in winter than I do through my pores in summer.
My commute on average is 5 minutes slower at the moment, Urgh!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm slower in winter, just got more layers on (and it's harder to get it right in the first place which sometimes means stopping), and I'm carrying more in the pannier, from how/what spare clothes, warm drink etc. but it does make me appreciate summer when it arrives. And I've started noticing that it is getting lighter so that I'm getting home without needing lights now, though I still carry them, but again would only carry a back up set in summer.

My commute timing makes no difference unless it's icy. Five miles isn't long enough to get too cold, even on the coldest days I warm up after a mile or so.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Winter time I just cannot seem to get going and my average speed is 13 / 14 mph. Come the summer, shorts and short sleeve top and you can add 3 / 4 mph on top to that average

My nose runs more. Reminds me: I must wash my left glove....
left snot, right sweat. I think. Or was it the other way round?
Bugger.

Regarding speed, caution and a bit more clothing slows me down, but the biggest reason I'm slower is a malaise at actually getting out on the bike when it's horrible out there. It follows rides be slower as fitness is lost due to lack of actually getting out there.

Top Bottom