How much have YOU spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

My daily driver is an old cheapo mtb and I was under the impression that riding a bike is totally free , Now that I look at my bike and see what I have done with it, it all adds up..
How much have you spent on your bike related stuff this year?

For me.
£23 New set of tyres
£17 Bike rack and 2 pannier bags
£16 Cold weather clothing garments
£23 a Nice front light+18650 batteries+charger + a nice rear light.
£3 new brake pads
£10 for small bits ( some reflective stickers/Bell/ oil /flashlight mount/bike pump)

Total £92 for just some mundane stuff I thought costs nothing.
I think I have used my bike maybe 100x this year,per usage cost..Not so free after all :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Waterproof jacket £55
Rear derailleur £55
Pair of cheap tyres £28
Chain £15
Inner tubes £12

They were all just replacements for worn out stuff.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
About £30. Two disc rotors and disc brake pads.

The rest of the gear I had from previous years.

Shaun

Founder
About £200 - a set of rechargeable lights, a couple of tubes, tyres, and new crank, chain, rear cassette.

Lozi

I don’t do much spending as I don’t have all the gear etc and I ride my old faithful MTB but I have spent around £60 on slime inner tubes in the last couple months which is driving my nuts!

Around £250 - mudguards, winter gloves, new saddle, rechargeable batteries for rear light, summer jersey, shorts and mitts, glasses, top bar bag, winter base layers, silk glove liners and mid-weight gloves.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot: I'm about £500 up on the balance I "owe" against commuting to work, despite selling £1000 worth of bikes and kit and commuting about 115 times saving £10 a time. That means I've spent over £2500 this year :eek:

I do have a very nice NeilPryde Nazare, a Raleigh track bike and a Wilier Montegrappa to show for it though. And a pile of DuraAce bits for the next bike build :okay:

Spending for my 13yo's worse; a Cervelo S3 at the start of the year hit hard, along with wheels, tyres and maintenance for his race and training bikes. It's about £2500 overall for him as well although he does ride to school, so has saved about £500 on bus fare and has ridden about 6,000 miles so far in 2017.

That doesn't include audax/TT entry fees for me, including LEL, plus race entry fees and travel for him - including Portsmouth for a weekend and the Isle of Man for a 3-day race. Add another £2500 there.

So about £7500 this year :huh:

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
cycling sandals - 71.99
Electric Trike Kit - 609
dics brake and mount - 8.95
bladder camalbak - 11.99
19mm spanner - 5.46
cassette tool - 2.16
small bar bags x -2 6.5
gear cables - 2
stem - 7.78
Spoke Key -1.99
2nd rack battery - 225
chain lock - 7.29
padlock alarm - 5.79
bike indicators - 5.56
handlebar switch -11.98
12v battery trike - 9.56
horn trike - 10.71
£1003.71 and I've only done 555 miles :cry:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Gone wild this year with a new sprocket, 99p + £1.99 for delivery, a crankset - think I paid about a tenner for that, a bunch of 99p lights - maybe a fiver all told, a couple of pairs of gloves, about a fiver each, and some silk liner gloves for £4. Then I went really bonkers and splashed out just under £40 for a Gore Oxygen II jacket, after the cheapo one I took away with me down to Lands End proved to be about as much use as a j-cloth jacket. Oh, hang on, I bought some new Simano shoes too - I got two pairs of Look pedals with those, £11.40, delivered. I think that's it. So, include the one or two things I've doubtless forgotten and I think I'd still have change from £100.

vickster

Legendary Member
Very little relatively as I’ve not bought a new (to me) bike this year...yet ;)

£21 on a front light
£42 on some tyres (bought two, ended up with four as one was duff, got a replacement plus an extra from CRC
£50 on a jersey
£6 on some lube
£15 on some tape
£60 on a service
£13.32 on inner tubes
£6 on Socks
£30 on shoes
Turbo trainer was this year, about £200 iirc

Last edited:
Top Bottom