How much have YOU spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is exactly how I felt too.....but unfortunately ebay has a purchase history page, so out of curiosity/self flagellation I went through my 2017 purchases last night,....dear god, talk about laying your obsession out before your eyes....In my defence I have cycled nearly 10,000 miles this year so I think I've earned it^_^

First off I'll start with actual bike shops and online retailers, where I've spent £220 on tyres, chains, inner tubes, brake and gear cables and brake pads. Not too bad, but then we get onto ebay.... (shuffles awkwardly and makes promise to bury bank statements outside when no ones looking)

From my ebay purchase history it seems I'm a complete Campagnolo fan boy, with a magpie type weakness for shiny silver, and bought (gulp):

Components
5 pairs of wheels (1 tubular, 4 clinchers)
2 single wheels for spares
2 hubs for spares
2 sets of brakes calipers
1 seatpost
2 x 10 speed rear derailleurs
1 double chainset
1 front derailleur
1 pair of STI shifters
1 stem
3 x cassettes
2 pairs of pedals
2 x saddles
3 pairs of wheel quick releases

Accessories/spares
1 front light
1 seatpost holding bracket spares
2 x pairs of SPD-SL cleats
1 set of square taper crank bolts
1 pair of ergopower rubber hood spares
1 x sidi replacement heel pad
1 cassette lockring
3 tubs of tubular glue
1 wrap of handlebar tape
1 fancy handlebar end plugs
1 musette
1 metal polish (for bike chrome shiny shiny)
2 bottle cages
1 campag pin badge
1 campag enamel sign
1 campag brake and cable kit
1 set of park tool cable cutters

Clothing
4 cycling caps
5 pairs of cycling socks
3 pairs of vintage crochet cycle gloves
9 vintage/retro cycling jerseys

Total ebay spend for 2017 = £2372.

Sounds a lot, but probably only what smoker spends on their habit in a year, and I got some real bargains there. But having seen that laid bare I'll try and wind in the retail therapy a bit next year....but that's next year, there's still a few weeks left of this one:whistle:....I plan to buy a 2nd hand classic steel frame before years end and build up a new bike with some of the above bits.
Now come on Booze and cake.....You've been hiding your light under a bushel or words to that effect. With that list of goodies you really ought to come clean and show us "whats your workshop look like" in the thread of that name. It must be an Alladins' cave :whistle:

Loads
folding bike £420
carbon wheels used £330
campag khamsin wheels £140
fly 12 cycling camera £170
spd shoes £35
spd sl shoes £60
bike fit £120
velo entry £70
funkier shorts £50
autum jackets £50
club jacket £30

.....im sure theres more

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@woodbutcher ^_^ a workshop! I wish....I don't have one, or a shed, or even a garden. I live in a small 3rd floor London flat. I can confirm that gluing tubulars in your bedroom is going to end messily and I currently have 2 bikes in my bedroom. I've got 5 bikes and my housemate has 2 bikes and 3 recumbents....lets just say the small box room/spare room (or in estate agents speak a spacious double room:rofl:) is not spare at all and the hallway is full. Stumbling to the toilet in the night can lead to jabs in the ribs from various pointy bike bits. And under my bed is the stash of p*rn, by which I mean a selection of vintage Campagnolo Shamals^_^

I am going to have somehow sneak the next project into the flat under a blanket or something.

I look in the 'show us your shed' thread and similar workshop threads with envy, but to be honest if space becomes that tight I'll be looking at what furniture we can get rid of before considering selling any bikes^_^

bpsmith

Veteran
I shudder to think exactly how much I have spent tbh. I can confirm though, that it is significantly less than the RRP!

I do have a canny skill at finding a bargain, combined with discount codes and cash back on top.

Errr,don't really want to add this years buying up:blink::wacko: ;the perils of working in a bike shop :laugh:.

So far this year:whistle:;

Light Blue Robinson with 105 drivetrain- Hope bb, headset,carbon seat post and v-twin brakes with floating discs-Deda bars and stem*-Fabric saddle*,SP dynamo hub(s/h),Novatec rear hub*,H+Son Archetype rims*,Schwalbe One tyres,Radial cycles mudguards,Tortec Velocity rack,Supernova and B&M lights.

For the Planet X XLS I bought;

Lauf Grit forks,SRAM Rival 1x11(part s/h),Halo Vapour 29 wheels with Supadrive rear hub,Schwalbe X-One tyres,Genetic Digest bars,Hope carbon seat post,Hope Vision R4+District lights.

For the Helium;

Wheelsmith carbon dimple/Hope hub wheels,Deda Superleggero carbon bars and Superzero stem,C-Bear ceramic pf bb,K-Edge garmin mount.

Also:rolleyes:;

Trek Singletrack with Sora drivetrain upgrade(now belonging to the better half)

Again for the better half; Kona Smoke re-built with XT 1X10 gears plus Hope retainer ring,FSA cranks,Sunrace cassette,Magura hydraulic rim brakes,Mavic rims on Deore hubs and various s/h finishing bits.

Clothing and stuff;

Giro Synth lid,Empire VR shoes,ALE,Chapeau jerseys,Isadore 3/4 bib shorts,This Is Cambridge Socks and Jersey,Rapha hat,Chamois cream and socks,Madison and Helly Hansen base layers plus a few tools.

Think that's it:blush:.

Although now I'm looking at MTB's:ohmy::crazy:.

*These I already had.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Ah well I don’t really know, or want to know.

£2000 on the Argon18 frameset, £700 on the PowerTap pedals...there could be another grand or so in shoes and parts. So maybe £4000? That’s if we just call it bike, rather than fitting and race entry fees, insurance, etc.

But I did three Ironman events :smile:

pjd57

Veteran
Almost as much as I've spent on football tickets.

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher ^_^ a workshop! I wish....I don't have one, or a shed, or even a garden. I live in a small 3rd floor London flat. I can confirm that gluing tubulars in your bedroom is going to end messily and I currently have 2 bikes in my bedroom. I've got 5 bikes and my housemate has 2 bikes and 3 recumbents....lets just say the small box room/spare room (or in estate agents speak a spacious double room:rofl:) is not spare at all and the hallway is full. Stumbling to the toilet in the night can lead to jabs in the ribs from various pointy bike bits. And under my bed is the stash of p*rn, by which I mean a selection of vintage Campagnolo Shamals^_^

I am going to have somehow sneak the next project into the flat under a blanket or something.

I look in the 'show us your shed' thread and similar workshop threads with envy, but to be honest if space becomes that tight I'll be looking at what furniture we can get rid of before considering selling any bikes^_^
Good man l definitely like your style/honesty and you sure have your priorities in order :smile:

steven1988

Veteran
On myself 14.99 for a new lid from planet x. Total cycling related purchases not for me around 2000. Hold on somethings not right here I need to rethink my spending for next year

Top Bottom