How much kit !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
So, it's now a little colder in the mornings, but not cold enough for winter longs and winter jackets.

Now we're being told to get arm & knee warmers as well by the cycling press...

I get by with an Aldi detachable-arms gilet, thin long cycling tights from Decathlon and full finger gloves.

Does anyone really have separate cycling wardrobes for spring, summer, autumn & winter ?

My wife already complains about the amount of kit needed/stored - for shooting, cycling, work wear, not at work wear, hiking, DIY or whatever. I seem to have twice the wardrobe space she has :-(

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have bags and bags of kit everywhere, and my wife literally trips over it every morning. I try and keep it organised and seasonally separate, but as the Summer gives way to Autumn, I'm dragging more and more stuff out, and not putting stuff away.
As I am on my bike EVERYDAY, my kit is always out, somewhere.
Fortunately, current building works are likely to provide adequate storage for my summer and winter, and in between season kit.

My Autumn to Winter kit consists of:
1. Northwave waterproof overshoes
2. DHB lightweight waterproof jacket, breathable, internal pocket for a proper soaking
3. Short sleeve jersey (at the moment), which will probably give way to a long sleeve (MTB) top (can't see it under jacket)
4. Full length thin (not waterproof) padded cycling tights, need a new pair
5. Bib tights on top of the above (doubled up)
6. Riding cap under helmet, for cold weather
7. Decathlon ear band (when it is well cold)
8. Bright green full length gloves

Big Nick

Same as the rest of the year (s/s jersey, helmet and bib shorts) but with arm and leg warmers and a skull cap!

Might take a thin waterproof in my jersey pocket if it looks like rain, best not over think these things!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Depends on the kinda cycling you do. Year round long-distance commuting requires different gear to a short summer commute.

wrong gear is the difference between shivering at the bottom of a long descent and being comfortable.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Depends on the kinda cycling you do. Year round long-distance commuting requires different gear to a short summer commute.

wrong gear is the difference between shivering at the bottom of a long descent and being comfortable.

True indeed... I well recall wearing simple winter gloves on a 14 miler when after 7 miles my fingers were extremely painful. Cue the ski gloves !

DWiggy

Über Member
I have a accumulated a few bits of kit for autumn/winter/spring, its definitely worth getting kit that make you feel comfortable if your frozen you will not achieve anything.

*DHB Skullcap for the mornings all weathers and temperatures up to about 12deg
*DHB Buff for chilly mornings up to 7deg
*Nike base layer / Planet x base layer
Planet X long sleeve jacket up to 10deg
*DHB Windslam jacket up to 7deg (Essential bit of kit for me)
DHB 3/4 bibs up to 10deg
*DHB windslam tights up to 7deg
*Shimano blade over shoes
*Dee feet dura gloves up to 7deg (coupled with some planet x short finger gloves for really cold mornings)
*I also have a Merino long sleeve jumper (non cycling) to use for below 0deg
Thin DHB Waterproof breathable jacket for the rain
Mug guards (essential for the rain if commuting) keeps you and your feet dryer!

*takes me below freezing

Crankarm

Guru
So, it's now a little colder in the mornings, but not cold enough for winter longs and winter jackets.

Now we're being told to get arm & knee warmers as well by the cycling press...

I get by with an Aldi detachable-arms gilet, thin long cycling tights from Decathlon and full finger gloves.

Does anyone really have separate cycling wardrobes for spring, summer, autumn & winter ?

My wife already complains about the amount of kit needed/stored - for shooting, cycling, work wear, not at work wear, hiking, DIY or whatever. I seem to have twice the wardrobe space she has :-(

My wife already complains about the amount of kit needed/stored - for shooting, cycling, work wear, not at work wear, hiking, DIY or whatever. I seem to have twice the wardrobe space she has

:eek:

Another interest - but needing..
For Fell-Running;

Shorts (no matter what the weather)
Club-vest
Socks & 'correct' shoes (ie; I have choice of 3 different pairs of Inov-8s, according to conditions)

If below about 5 degrees, I also wear;
Gloves
Wolley hat/Buff
Long-sleeve 'wicking' t-shirt

Not forgetting a bum-bag, with emergency kit, if required, or deemed sensible. by the runner him/her-self

D

Deleted member 1258

I commute in my work clothes and save my bike gear for the Sunday rides, so I don't have a huge amount of bike gear, but I do have summer and winter gear.

My autumn / winter kit consists of Parameta shirts from Paramo, wear one or two as the weather requires under a windproof or the Foska training jacket as required

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
My winter gear consists of

underarmour coldgear baselayer,
Scott SS cycling jersey
Adidas running jacket (on the look out for a cycling jacket but makes do)
Gore Bib shorts
Karrimor Trainer socks
Shimano Cycle shoes.
Mizuno thermagrip gloves

I need a riding cap and shower cover, leggings and overshoes but haven't looked into what others recommend. I have a Regatta LS Fleece if I'm pottering around on MTB

jay clock

Massive member
I have enough kit to outfit a team. Probably 6 changes of summer kit, a range of touring stuff, winter kit enough for about a week, and various filets, arm and leg warmers. And that is without mentioning the triathlon and running kit

Top Bottom