How much maintenance involved with hydraulic brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I like the simplicity of cable discs do all my own maintenance and dont really want to buy into something I cant fix if it goes wrong.

Am I fretting over nothing ?

Duffy

Über Member
I have both and the hydraulics are much less hassle.

So.....yes you are

:biggrin:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It can depend on what brakes they are

Some systems (like Shimano) use a mineral oil
Others (like Avid) use .dot fluid, like a motor vehicle.

Mineral Oil is easier to handle and less prone to getting air bubbles. .Dot fluid on the other hand sucks air in at an alarming rate, and once you've opened a bottle, it doesn't keep long.

I own both and I can tell you Shimano are a doddle to bleed, whereas my Avid's can be a nightmare (Although they have behaved this year, since I upgraded the fluid to Dot 5.1)

Bleed kits for Shimano are cheap and easy to use. - the Avid ones are more complicated and expensive.

Videos for bleeding both types are readily available on U-Tube

Hydraulic pads are self adjusting, so while tricker to setup, require less ongoing attention as a result of pad wear. Mechanical BB7s are easy to setup, but pad adjustment is manual, therefore requires attention far more often. However, were talking seconds here. I do it once in a while if I notice stopping power is reduced, or as and when I clean the bike. With the BB7s, it is as simple as turning a dial. If you add barrel adjusters, it can be done from a seated position on your bike. I have no messy fluids to worry about. Mechanical works for me, the only reason I haven't tried hydraulic is they are more expensive, and don't see a good reason to upgrade. If they came on a new bike, I wouldn't sweat it, and would just learn to maintain them.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Hydraulics just feel better and are more powerful than cable. Once they are on it's generally fit and forget until you need new pads. Then its push the pistons back, new pads in, pump to adjust and get riding again.

Hydraulic pads are self adjusting, so while tricker to setup, require less ongoing attention as a result of pad wear.

Why are hydraulic trickier to set up? Unless you have to adjust the brake pipe length it's fit, align caliper, pump brakes to adjust and ride.

Mineral Oil is easier to handle and less prone to getting air bubbles. .Dot fluid on the other hand sucks air in at an alarming rate, and once you've opened a bottle, it doesn't keep long.

DOT fluid absorbes water and not air.
I was wondering about this too.

What about the bleeding and topping up fluid and what-not? Straightforward to do at home?

You don't need to top up the fluid as there is enough in the reservoir to compensate for pad wear. Bleeding depends on system and is somewhere between easy and a pain in the arse. All can be done at home.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hydraulics, generally speaking, are a lot less grief. However, on those rare occasions they do require attention you may well develop tourettes. Changing a cable is a lot easier than bleeding a recalcitrant Shimano system.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Does one system have a weight advantage?
Not that I'm interested in upgrading, just thought it might add to the discussion.

Top Bottom