How much maintenance involved with hydraulic brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The only time I've bled brakes on cars and motorcycles is when I've changed the fluid. There is no reason why cycle brakes can be any different.

Hope are pretty similar

Avid Elixirs on the other hand are a bloody pain

Threevok

Does one system have a weight advantage?
Not that I'm interested in upgrading, just thought it might add to the discussion.

Negligible

Unless you are an obsessed weight weenie - Then you should be looking at extremely expensive CF versions

Just remember to blow your nose before you leave the house though Otherwise any gain you've made will be negated :laugh:

jay clock

Massive member
Apart from changing the pads, I've never touched my mountain bike hydraulic disc bake system for 7 years since I bought the bike. All is working fine.
my MTB has 13 or 14 year old brakes still untouched apart from pads. Having said that it has only been out once in 4-5 years. Still worked though when a friend borrowed it last month

johnnyb47

Guru
My Elixir hydraulic (front) disc brake developed problems early last year . The brakes became spongy. I didn't feel competent in bleeding it myself and took it over to a bike shop to sort it out. It cost about £10 to get it sorted and has been fine ever since.
Apart from this they've been no problems at all.

U

User32269

I'm new to hydraulic brakes, got Promax Solve on my new bike. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've never worked on discs, and hydraulics on a bike is venturing into science fiction in my retro world.

Threevok

I'm new to hydraulic brakes, got Promax Solve on my new bike. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've never worked on discs, and hydraulics on a bike is venturing into science fiction in my retro world.

Not had any experience, but looking at the pics, they seem to be a licenced copy of Shimano Deore or similar and even use the same pads

They look very similar to the LX trekking brakes on my SS, but without the reach adjusters

http://www.promaxcomponents.com/product/solve-disc-brake/

Southside Mike

The Tektro hydraulics which came with my 2013 Sirrus were rubbish - constantly needing to be bled, squeaky. Fitted Shimano SLX in 2014 - never had to do anything to them since, except put in new pads.
Personally, I wouldn't consider a new bike without hydraulic discs

Cable discs, are sooooooo last century.
Depends on the application. I wouldn't go on a tour of any length with hydraulics, disc or rim.

Re the OP, hydraulic brakes are incredibly low maintenance. Until something goes wrong. Then a right old fag.

I have some magura hydraulic rim brakes. Bought about 2004. Nothing needed doing for over a decade and i swapped them to another bike. But recent problems mean that the bike will be fully swapped to V brakes very soon. I can't be bothered with sorting leaks. The Vs will do what i need on the fast light tourer.

In short OP if you like your cable discs (you didn't say which ones) I would stick with them. Forget the often pointless urge to "uograde" and ride your bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Cable discs on mtn bikes (talking 1990's) sucked big time. Friends who had them always having problems. Hydraulics perfectly fine. I have 13 year old hydraulics on my current mtn bike and bled them twice in that time. Really easy to do. I have cable discs on a newer road bike and also fine. So for the road I would be happy with either. If doing much off road I would stick with hydraulics.

The only probs I’ve ever had with the hydraulics on my old MX Comp, is that the fluid is hygroscopic, so the fluid has needed changing once, but it’s not that much of a faff if you have the correct tools, I used it as an excuse to use dot 5 fluid, now my brakes would stop a freight train:laugh:

Alan O

Über Member
A year ago I bought a 10-year-old MTB with Shimano hydraulic brakes - the previous owner had had it around 2 years and had just replaced the pads for the first time.

I managed to get air into one of them by pumping the brakes with the bike upside down (a bad thing to do), but bleeding was easy enough.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for all the replies.I should have said I was talking about road bikes.

Thinking of a new one in new year and had ruled out bikes with hydraulics but doing that rules out a lot of good bikes.

All things being equal I would still go for cable disc as they work fine on my Synapse but after reading replies I wouldnt be put off by hydraulics now.

Crankarm

Guru
Hydraulics, generally speaking, are a lot less grief. However, on those rare occasions they do require attention you may well develop tourettes. Changing a cable is a lot easier than bleeding a recalcitrant Shimano system.

I've never had a problem bleeding Shimano hydraulic brakes. I have SLX and only had to bleed them was when I installed them and cut the hoses to length. Since then not and working perfectly for nigh on 2 years now on my everyday bike. On my Kona MTB I think it has Hayes hydraulic db and have never had to bleed them and they still work like new. No rubbing whatsoever and still the original pads after 8 years.

I would like to try some bling Hope twin pot disc brakes although find Shimano's SLX disc brakes fine.

Top Bottom