How much of a difference is going from shimano claris to ultegra gear set?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
when things start to wear out, replace them with 105
Do not do this ( @oreo_muncher has 8sp Claris groupset). You can't just replace one thing with 105 'written' on it. Current 105 stuff is 11 speed. As others have said (with my additions) items needed will be: rear wheel (with 11sp freehub), cassette, chain, STIs, RD and FD, and chainset (and most likely BB too).
Cost wise you can check online retailers like Wiggle for the cost of shifters, cassette, chain, front and rear mechs as a minimum.
An LBS can easily fit it all for you, maybe £100-150?
I'd be amazed to get that (105 STIs, cassette, chain, front and rear mechs) for £200 even to fit yourself @vickster .

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I am still unsure how to increase my speed. I have increased distances I can cycle- I can do long distances comfortably without getting tired but haven't improved my speed...:shy: Endurance is there but not speed.
Doing long distances does not make you fast, it makes you more able to do long distances. If you want to get faster over short distances do some flat out intervals and perhaps some leg work in the gym such as lunges/squats etc. You will be limited by genetics and there is no changing that, so if you have a lot of slow twitch mucle fibres you will have to accept you are not going to be grease lightning.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I am happy with my bike, but I really want the trek sl6 domane:wub::wub::wub::wub:
If you're happy with your existing bike keep your money in your pocket.

Ultegra will give you more gears for lesser spacing and / or greater range, nicer / lighter shift quality and marginally lower mass. The tradeoff is enormous, disproportionate expense and arguably greater fragility. If all of the positives above combined to give you a perceptable gain in speed on a typical ride over Claris I'd be surprised tbh.

105 is regarded by most as the "sweet spot" for value in the Shimano range; anything above this and prices rocket for very little return. Personally this is my limit as I can't abide the expense of higher-end stuff, but everyone's perspectives are different.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do not do this ( @oreo_muncher has 8sp Claris groupset). You can't just replace one thing with 105 'written' on it. Current 105 stuff is 11 speed. As others have said (with my additions) items needed will be: rear wheel (with 11sp freehub), cassette, chain, STIs, RD and FD, and chainset (and most likely BB too).

I'd be amazed to get that (105 STIs, cassette, chain, front and rear mechs) for £200 even to fit yourself @vickster .
Nope that’s the cost of the fitting, parts on top! Sorry if not clear, check cost of parts on wiggle and then fitting cost on top. I was answering two questions, cost of parts, cost of fitting

Cost wise you can check online retailers like Wiggle for the cost of shifters, cassette, chain, front and rear mechs as a minimum.
An LBS can easily fit it all for you, maybe £100-150?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@oreo_muncher I'd agree with others changing your group set to 105 will not make you faster.

There are two ways to increase speed. The first is to become stronger and fitter through lots of short, hard rides in which you push yourself as much as possible.

The second possibility is a better bike. This is not to suggest there is anything wrong with your current bike. Once you've improved your strength and fitness you will reach a point whereby the bike is the limiting factor. You will "feel" this point, you'll "know" you have more in you than the bike allows.

I know this is not a view everyone would agree with but have experienced it myself and seen it in others. For example I simply cannot get the same speed out of my winter Dolan that I do from my summer Cervelo.

A lady I ride with is widely recognised by everyone in our club as a fantastic climber. She's 20 years younger than me. I'm OK on hills and we often push each other hard up some major local climbs and were on par, finishing a few seconds apart. She bought a new Trek, overnight her performance jumped ahead. Quite astonishing. On the same climbs she now smashes me by 30-60 seconds, sometimes more. She's also hammering some of our very good male riders of her age.

The time will come but just concentrate on fitness for the moment.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well I thought that might be what you meant, but I reckon a LBS would be prepared to fit that lot for free if they got in the groupset and made their money on the RRP margin.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I thought that might be what you meant, but I reckon a LBS would be prepared to fit that lot for free if they got in the groupset and made their money on the RRP margin.
Can only ask. Not something mine would do for that level of work.
I’ve nearly always found it cheaper to buy my parts online and pay the bolt on fees.

@oreo_muncher you can get the older 105 groupset for around £350 albeit limited gearing options
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...05-5800-11-speed-groupset-black/10970750.html

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
:eek:you're quoting the wrong person.....
Sorry! Not concentrating, sat on train.
Fixed and you found it anyhow :becool:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Sorry! Not concentrating, sat on train.
Fixed and you found it anyhow :becool:
That £350 costs more than half the price of my current bike! :eek:think I would just get a new bike once I outgrow this one and get fed up with it and I'll just use it for short bike rides but for now it's my only bike and I still love it:wub:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That £350 costs more than half the price of my current bike! :eek:think I would just get a new bike once I outgrow this one and get fed up with it and I'll just use it for short bike rides but for now it's my only bike and I still love it:wub:

Sensible choice. Claris is fine and until last year was my choice for commuting and winter riding. Parts are cheaper and often more durable.

As above; harder rides under an hour build speed, longer rides build stamina :okay:

We've 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace and the nice stuff's good but is only a bit lighter.

Last edited:
I have a shimano claris gear set- trek al2 domane bike and I'm wondering how much of a difference would it be if I had a bike with an ultegra gear set? Would I be more faster?
Its probably been said, the Ultegra will if set up right give you smoother changes, will be marginally lighter and will give you a bigger range of gears. It's impossible to put an exact number on it but on a long ride it might make you 1second faster. Maybe 5-10seconds in a hour+ race where the smoother/ faster gear changes may help you select the right gear.

Sharky

Guru
I am still unsure how to increase my speed. I have increased distances I can cycle- I can do long distances comfortably without getting tired but haven't improved my speed...:shy: Endurance is there but not speed.
Re speed, do you mean average speed?
What do you currently achieve and what is your target.

Terrain and weather conditions will dictate what you can achieve more than other factors.

I wouldn't worry about speed at this time of year. If you've built up endurance the speed will have followed, it just being supressed by the harder conditions at this time of year. Come the new year and better weather you'll be flying :okay:

Top Bottom