How much or how often are you riding on the drops ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The only way to get used to the drops, is to use them more and more.

Best position to get the air in your lungs efficiently is on the tops, right in the middle I find, on the steeper climbs. Nowhere near brakes, but not usually needed when climbing that much.

Not saying it's wrong - but I find hill climbing easier on the drops - but I do get out of puff - but less so than sitting up

bpsmith

Veteran
Not saying it's wrong - but I find hill climbing easier on the drops - but I do get out of puff - but less so than sitting up

As per my post slightly before yours, and probably crossed during posting, whatever works for me may not work for you. A very small proportion of people can efficiently climb in the drops compared to other methods, but if you're good at it then stick with it.

I might actually give it a try on next ride out to compare to my usual position. Although my new bike is a lot more aggressive in its geometry and has 2 spacers above the stem by default, so am in process of deciding where I want the stem set, and therefore might find it not great at present. Definitely worth a go though.

I am persevering with the height, as it's a great position to be if I can handle it. My bike got guy has offered to tailor it as often as I like when getting the bike run in.

I must be the only one that uses the drops all the time. I always assumed it was the standard position when riding a road bike, I guess not.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I used them probably as much as 80% of the time too. Not sure how I will find it once my collar bone has healed. Might be a bit uncomfortable initially.

Top Bottom