How much should I eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Up to 60 minutes – 5 kCal/mile
Up to 120 minutes – 8 kCal/mile
Up to 300 minutes – 20 kCal/mile
Up to 900 minutes – 45 kCal/mile
Over 900 minutes – 65 kCal/mile

Let the shouting begin.

Less than me, if you don't want to weigh 100kg.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

gaz said:
Is this whilst riding? or after the riding to componsate.

Which of the five rides would you...

a/ fill up before, during and after.
b/ fill up during.
c/ fill up before and during.
d/ fill up after.
e/ fill up before.
f/ fill up during and after.
g/ not fill up at all.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would eat during and after on all... hence my genuine questiona as to wherther this is only during or after. or possibly both?

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

gaz said:
I would eat during and after on all... hence my genuine questiona as to wherther this is only during or after. or possibly both?

You've not heared of 'Carbo loading'?

Are you serious about deliberately measuring out 75 kCals for a 15 mile 1 hour ride when you have possibly three hours worth of glycogen already waiting to be used?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
all i understand is if i'm hungry i need to eat..

__

like i said, if i'm hungry i'll eat. my morning commute is 13.5 miles, takes around 50mins and i eat only a ceral bar en route, and a bacon butty after.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

gaz said:
all i understand is if i'm hungry i need to eat..

__

like i said, if i'm hungry i'll eat. my morning commute is 13.5 miles, takes around 50mins and i eat only a ceral bar en route, and a bacon butty after.

I can go with that if you are an ectomorph.

I don't bother eating until two hours after a 14 mile, 55 minute commute. I'm a mesomorph.

However, a 200 km Rando requires over 5000 kCals. Half of this is eaten twenty four hours before the ride. 1500 kCals for breakfast and the remainder during the ride.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Too many variables to try to work it out mathematically, I prefer to go by a mixture of experience and gut(!) feel

Which isn't to say that I haven't got it wrong before now, but usually that's by ignoring my instincts rather than trusting them

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

coruskate said:
Too many variables to try to work it out mathematically, I prefer to go by a mixture of experience and gut(!) feel

Which isn't to say that I haven't got it wrong before now, but usually that's by ignoring my instincts rather than trusting them

There are a lot of variables, but not TOO many. :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jimboalee said:
I can go with that if you are an ectomorph.

I don't bother eating until two hours after a 14 mile, 55 minute commute. I'm a mesomorph.

However, a 200 km Rando requires over 5000 kCals. Half of this is eaten twenty four hours before the ride. 1500 kCals for breakfast and the remainder during the ride.
Had to look those two words up, but i say i have a fast matabalisum, easily eat my way through 4000kcal a day without putting on any weight and only cycling 27 miles.

I do see what you mean about a longer ride, and i would then prepair my body for the rider from the day before.

Dan B

Disengaged member
jimboalee said:
There are a lot of variables, but not TOO many. :biggrin:
Time, speed, amount of climbing, availability of drafts, likelihood of "race tactics", state of body at outset ... I don't know any cheap and easy way of measuring muscle and liver glycogen levels, do you?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As the primary purpose of cycling for me is weight control and most of my rides are less than 3 hours I try not to eat any extra and drink only water on a ride .

If riding between 3 and 4 hours I take a banana.Not very scientific but seems to work.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

coruskate said:
Time, speed, amount of climbing, availability of drafts, likelihood of "race tactics", state of body at outset ... I don't know any cheap and easy way of measuring muscle and liver glycogen levels, do you?

I've found a University paper which says this can be measured using

Carbon 13 Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

I don't like the sound of that. :ohmy:

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Come to think about it.

Since glycogen has a density of 1.5 g/cm3 at blood temperature, the team doctor can take a blood sample and spin it in a centrifuge.
The glycogen will seperate from the blood and the quack can see how rich the victim is.

But that's only for blood.

Muscle and liver testing might be invasive, which conjours up some dreadful thoughts.

Top Bottom