How much should I offer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Going to head down to my LBS tonight to get the spacer and I'll probably buy brake cables while I'm there.

XyzMRHY.jpg

I think it's looking good.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Just had one last attempt at getting the BB out before I brought out a blow torch. My LBS wanted £30 to get it out but I managed to do it myself - finally! I poured some boiling water out of my kettle over it and then hit it with a chisel and hammer - I wasn't sure if it had moved at first and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me! It's free :biggrin:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Sorry to come in at a late stage, but is that a fixed wheel or a single speed? If it is fixed I would recommend getting at least a couple of tugs for the rear wheel if not converting it to track nuts too. I used to run fixed wheel on these sorts of frames and found I would often pull the wheel out of alignment when setting off without both these measures.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Sorry to come in at a late stage, but is that a fixed wheel or a single speed? If it is fixed I would recommend getting at least a couple of tugs for the rear wheel if not converting it to track nuts too. I used to run fixed wheel on these sorts of frames and found I would often pull the wheel out of alignment when setting off without both these measures.

The rear wheel has a freewheel on it and I bought a single speed conversion kit (a few spacers and a cog) to run single speed.

As mentioned above, HovR said there wouldn't be a problem if I replaced my standard quick release with an internal cam skewer.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

The frame and fork is now stripped down to bare metal thanks to Nitromors. I've also managed to find a frame number. I was expecting it to be on the bottom bracket but it seems that it's been blowtorched off. The frame number is on the seatube.

Can anyone help me identify the bike using the frame number? nm5265592

Col5632

Guru
Looking good Jaz, some work has already went into the bike :thumbsup:

The rear wheel has a freewheel on it and I bought a single speed conversion kit (a few spacers and a cog) to run single speed.

As mentioned above, HovR said there wouldn't be a problem if I replaced my standard quick release with an internal cam skewer.

I've never had any luck with QR on horizontal or track dropouts and use track nuts to hold the wheel in place. You may get lucky and the QR holds, but be prepared to swap out the QR skewer.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

A little update: I've found a small dent on the fork steerer tube, I'm going to be taking it to my LBS to see what they say but I reckon it'll need replaced which means that the build will be put on hold :sad:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I've never had any luck with QR on horizontal or track dropouts and use track nuts to hold the wheel in place. You may get lucky and the QR holds, but be prepared to swap out the QR skewer.

What would I replace the QR skewer with?

What would I replace the QR skewer with?

I guess I over simplified replacing the QR skewer, because if the QR doesn't work for you, you're going have to replace the hollow qr axle with a solid one. Which can be done for less than a tenner if you can find a solid axle that's compatible with your rear hub.

I've had to do this as QR didn't work for me, but you get lucky.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I guess I over simplified replacing the QR skewer, because if the QR doesn't work for you, you're going have to replace the hollow qr axle with a solid one. Which can be done for less than a tenner if you can find a solid axle that's compatible with your rear hub.

I've had to do this as QR didn't work for me, but you get lucky.

I was going to be replacing the standard QR skewer with an internal cam skewer, would it make sense just to find a proper axle to use with track nuts instead?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't have any problem on my singlespeed bike, even when standing for climbs when I weighed 16 st 6 lbs (230 lbs).

There isn't any luck involved - you just need a good quality QR (e.g. Shimano or Campagnolo) which is done up nice and tight.

Top Bottom