How much should petrol/diesel cost us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you were in power where would you go with fuel prices?

1.00 per litre and forget the environment, or 2.00 per litre and stifle business?

Or somewhere else entirely?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Free.

End of.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Since most of the current price at the pumps is tax, id reinvest consistently in alternative transport. Environment or not, Oil ain't gonna last forever and Electric cars come with 'caveats' such as charge times, longevity, battery replacement costs and the environmental impact of batteries themselves (tech is always evolving, i know), it might be wise to offer alternatives. Cycling has other benefits too as im sure we're all aware of. Even if it's £2 a litre, i can't see business being that stifled. They're already saving billions not paying the workers enough and finding fun new ways to pass on costs to customers...

screenman

Legendary Member
Since most of the current price at the pumps is tax, id reinvest consistently in alternative transport. Environment or not, Oil ain't gonna last forever and Electric cars come with 'caveats' such as charge times, longevity, battery replacement costs and the environmental impact of batteries themselves (tech is always evolving, i know), it might be wise to offer alternatives. Cycling has other benefits too as im sure we're all aware of. Even if it's £2 a litre, i can't see business being that stifled. They're already saving billions not paying the workers enough and finding fun new ways to pass on costs to customers...

You should be running the country if you think making money is that easy, most of the company's I visit too tomorrow will be losing money this month like they did last month.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You should be running the country if you think making money is that easy, most of the company's I visit too tomorrow will be losing money this month like they did last month.
I'd love to see the people who think running a business is a licence to print money have a go themselves. The margin between making a healthy profit and suffering a ruinous loss is wafer thin. You don't need to get it wrong often to be completely fecked.

Personally I'd go for road pricing based on multiple factors: purpose, congestion, distance, and urban/rural driving. That way a farmer in a Landy taking sheep to market, or a teacher driving a long way to work in her Smart car in the Peak District would pay little, but a Chelsea tractor driving through... well, Chelsea in rush hour would clock up payments like a taxi meter, and the carpenter in the next lane would pay less because he's driving a commercial vehicle. A Volunteer lifeboat crew member could have a tag which can be used at a lifeboat station to cancel his trip there and back.

At the same time, make it really inconvenient to drive a private car through any city, and massively boost public transport and pedestrian cycle facilities. Fortunately, improving active travel/public transport facilities, by definition makes it more difficult for private vehicles cars (The reverse is also true, as our cities prove).

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

Is that really down to the fuel costs or are they run by complete imbeciles?

Top Bottom