How much technology on a bike is "too much"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bikes are not and never have been complicated machines. Even with all the latest tech they are simple machines that can be assembled from all their component parts by anyone who can change a set of spark plugs or wire a plug.

si_c

Guru
I don't think technology goes too far until it detracts from the ride.

My GPS lets me go to new places and my lights to visit old places at different times. The same goes for other new tech, it changes the way you ride, but you're still riding, turning the pedals and propelling yourself by yourself.

Even eBikes simply increase the accessibility of cycling. If you don't want to use some of these things then that's your choice, but it's not too much.

mustang1

Guru
They won't be for me. The beauty of a bicycle is the purity and simplicity of its engineering, the refinement and development of a mechanical device that the Victorians started. The introduction of electronics breaks that chain, and we lose that direct link to the past.

A cheap electronic casio is a far superior chronometer to my new Tudor, but I still know which I'd rather have.

Some might like it, and fair play to them. However, the use of electrons isn't something I'll be getting into.

+1 to what drago said. I love technology and stuff but when it comes to bikes, keep all that mumbo jumbo away from me. Indont want any of it, I don't want and trickle down. If that ever happens, then I'll finally go to an independent frame builder or go single speed.

I don't want anything that requires a "software update". To the hell with that.

And just in case it's not clear: screw all electronics on the bike. Screw them all to hell.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I can see that this tech can be great to play with and as experimenting with concepts can be quite a pleasure to many people.
Does it make your bike go faster more easily? Is it more reliable and less mainteneance? I really don't think so. I most certainly will not be setting off across muddy wet hills with kit like that anytime soon myself, either on or off road.

The bit I really like in the linked to article is where it says; ". . . weight difference between them and the mechanical group has narrowed to a mere six ounces . . ." My alternative fraziology (?) was more like; Cor blimey - you pays all that money and it weighs nearly half a pound more!

Rather like disc brakes on light road bikes - You spend loads a time, thought and money on making them slick light and streamlined - then spend even more on screwing all that up and stopping them :ohmy:. However I'm not supposed to be the sarcastic one round here. . .

I like a wee bit of technology but not willing to spend any amount hence my most expensive piece of tech bar the bike itself is an Edge 25. But the main thing from this thread that sticks in my mind is that you can get bluetooth vibrators - do you put them under the saddle??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ah, the old “I don’t have a relevant comment so I’ll pull apart others’ spelling and/or grammar instead” routine......
No, it is the old "satirising of a ridiculous statement by pretending it is using language incorrectly"**

**borrowed from Douglas Adams
"We're safe,' he said.
"Oh good,' said Arthur.
"We're in a small galley cabin,' said Ford, "in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.'
"Ah,' said Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage of the word "safe" that I wasn't previously aware of.'

Reactions: mjr

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just think if you are looking at the phone / satnav / gadget , who is watching the road ?
If you are coming out of a t-junction and looking left, who is watching the road to the right? :whistle:

I don't stare at my GPS; I glance at it for about half a second at a time, and only when I am not looking at something more important such as a car coming straight at me!

Top Bottom