How much was your first pint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
1975. Pint of bitter from a little pub on Mersea Island. Can't remember the price but it was less than a Pound.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Local pubs 15p. Student Union bar 14p.

Davidc

Guru
Like postman I started drinking in 1967 - aged 15 .... (and at 5' 10", slim but well muscled I had no problems passing as 18!)

a pint of courage best was 1/2 in the public bar (thats 1 shilling and 2 pence for those too young to have met the notation) or about 6p in decimal money.

1/9d I think. And if my memory serves, it was a pint of DD in the Bear at Oxford. Having been urged on by my fellow students. It was loathsome. But I have imbibed more palatable brews since my salad days...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Can't remember the price of the first pint, but at the Uni Halls of Residence bar, it was 73p, but an extra 6p for the glass, unless you brought your own.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Gerry Attrick said:
1/11d for a pint of Ansell's Mild. I reckon that's about 9p in today's money.

I went into mourning when Ansell's brewery closed down and I have never lived in the catchment area. I suspect that it will have been 20p plus per pint my discovery of it when visiting pals at Aston University, usually in the Sack of Potatoes, was well after shellling out 17p for a pint of Exhibition in the George in Darlington.

This sounds like a good thread. I haven't read it all yet but I remember the price of beer when I was plucked from the School Cricket pitches after playing a morning game and transported by car by a School 'Old Boy' (my Dad had a bike.) to the Old Boys's Cricket Ground. I played for the second eleven, got loads of wickets including one with my first ball, and that was the very top of the slippery slope of sport!
IPA was One shilling and tenpence - 1/10d. 91/2p about.
Jugs were white enamel and, playing darts, it was winner stays on - loser buys the beer. At age 14, I was bloody good at darts. No money then, apart from ten bob my Dad used to give me. I used to translate that ten bob into comics - but I soon converted to 'beer gauge' division. (Light and bitter was more expensive - just, but was a better deal as it increased one's 'intake' by 40%).
Ah - the good old days!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Started drinking at 18 (got age checked 'til mid 20s) circa 1978/9 when living in Scunny. A pint in the lounge bar of the King Henry was about 35p but paid 29p in a lino & pvc public bar out on the A18.

Fofty pence plus after moving to london was an outrage!!

Top Bottom