How much was your first pint?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
I'm Ttotal but as a youngster I remember being sent for a loaf the week that decimalisation came in. It cost 5 new pence. 1 old shilling.

mark barker

At the ripe old age of 35 I can say I've never purchased (or drank) a pint of beer! I got very drunk at a party when I was 14 (diamond white was the drink of choice IIRC), and haven't had a drop of alcohol since!

Can't remember....probably about £1.20/£1.30 ish

Pre-18 I used to just skulk with bottles of Newcy Brown in the darkest corners of rock bars..nobody really gave a damn as long as you were discreet - I pity the young'uns with their ID cards these days

Bayerd

Über Member
In 1988 I remember it being 92p a pint for handpulled Stones in the Zetland in Huddersfield, and about 75p for Younger's 80 bob and McEwan's No 3 in the union bar at the same time.

Bandini

It was 99p for a bottle of Newcastle Brown. I think I drank it because it was easy to work out your budget. Actually, it was probably advertised in Viz or something - ah, Brown Bottle Man. It tasted like dirty water.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Probably about 48p, IIRC. :biggrin:

... we used to have a pub near our school that'd let 6th formers in at lunchtimes if we took off our school ties :blush: ... he just 'assumed' everyone was 18 (hic) :smile:
We had halves though, and played pool and space invaders. :smile: Just occasionally we'd forget about school for the afternoon, nip into the offy and go up the local footy stadium, sit in the stands and continue... these days, I'd assume kids drinking like that in the afternoon were ne'erdowells, but we were really quite nice, and never caused any trouble (apart from that time we tied a friend up with sellotape and left him there) :smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
€6 what a rip off. I've not had a pint of Smithwicks for a while but IIRC it was one of the cheaper pints in rip off Dublin. When I left Dublin in 2005 a pint of lager in rip off Cafe en Seine was that price :biggrin:

Smithwicks is definitely one of the cheaper pints. That's why I developed a taste for it!

I agree about prices in Dublin or anywhere down south. Ridiculous. I live very close to the borser and local businesses have to try and be competive with the Northern Ireland if they want any trade, so prices for most things are reasonable. Any time I go down south and buy something, I'm always walking away from the shop counter thinking How MUCH? ****ing hell!"

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
tyred said:
Smithwicks is definitely one of the cheaper pints. That's why I developed a taste for it!

I agree about prices in Dublin or anywhere down south. Ridiculous. ... Any time I go down south and buy something, I'm always walking away from the shop counter thinking How MUCH? ****ing hell!"

We used to go to Ireland on hols lots as kids (relatives) but last time I was over, I bought a round in a pub, and thought wtf? :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy: Had to re-think expenditure plans. :tongue:

darkstar

Can't remember how much my first pint cost, you can still get a pin for 70p in Liverpool though! Tis why it's the best Uni city :laugh:

Cubist

Still wavin'
11p, Old Hooky. Mmmmmm. By my reckoning beer went over 50p a pint in about 1982/3 here in God's Own Earth. I distinctly remember (in a vague sort of way...) a night out after we'd beaten Bradford Uni RUFC away, and went to the Roebuck in Sheffield to celebrate. I had a fiver with me, and had to borrow a few pence to buy my 10th pint of Wards (malty nectar!)

Top Bottom