How much would you/have you paid for a kitchen knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Ooh that does look nice. If I didn't already have my Sabatier, I could be tempted. By the way, why don't you like the bolster?
Gets in the way when sharpening the heel...unless you put some silly high angle

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I just realised that some generous friend gave us a set of Wustof knives when we got married decades ago. I've never managed to sharpen them very well. I tend to use makes that are far, far less expensive.

[ No, I don't want extensive lectures about the merits of Arkansas water stones etc etc. :smile:]

BTW, there is a hidden army of tooled-up knife-wielding fiends out there.....
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/deng-xiaowen-a-cleaver-from-dazu.27283/
If these are really that old they are prob better than anything wusthoff makes today and could be worth some serious money...

Eziemnaik

Über Member
IMG_20200915_101110.jpg

One of my most used knives ATM
Tojiro carving
A steal at 50£, found in a bargain basket in Tokyo
Makes mince out of tuna
IMG_20200819_173441.jpg

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Could be collectors item:okay:

lucidone

If these are really that old they are prob better than anything wusthoff makes today and could be worth some serious money...
@Eziemnaik - as a home gamer only I'd assumed that Wusthoff would still knock out a decent knife (I have some classic's from ~20 years ago which have served me well enough), when did it go wrong and what's the issue with them? Just interested!

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Fit and finish on lower lines has become questionable
At some point they changed their sharpening and started putting v shaped edge instead of convex, which is not best suited to steel they use
In any case almost everyone is moving towards harder alloys and they are stuck in the past.
The way I see it it is Victorinox level performance for a lot of money

lucidone

Fit and finish on lower lines has become questionable
At some point they changed their sharpening and started putting v shaped edge instead of convex, which is not best suited to steel they use
In any case almost everyone is moving towards harder alloys and they are stuck in the past.
The way I see it it is Victorinox level performance for a lot of money

Thanks for the reply - just nice to know these things. The only other chef's knife I would buy in my life (barring catastrophe) would be old, 12-14" and carbon steel .

Top Bottom