How much would you/have you paid for a kitchen knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Must say, they look nice. Blade shape maybe a bit exotic for me but very nice.
Shaped for task I guess. From the top:
Cleaver
Santuko (excellent general purpose)
Filleting
Boning
Paring

cambsno

I rate Global knives. Got mine 14 years ago, and they are as good as new (when I remember to sharpen) - will last me another 30 years easily!

Eziemnaik

Über Member

View: https://youtu.be/3CxVAbgK5vM

I have decided to support cottage industry and got a Vietnamese knife
I like the coop idea, recycling of material, and I like the knife itself
IMG_20201021_130003.jpg

IMG_20201021_181933.jpg

Masaman curry for scale

My father in law gave us £50 for Xmas a couple of years ago, and we brought a set of kitchen knives from M&S for £75, which is much more than we would normally spend. Good knives. But they need regular attention to keep a good edge on them...

straas

Matt
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some friends bought us an expensive japanese paring knife for our wedding. It's almost too good, so sits at the back of a display cabinet because we're worried about damaging it. (silly I know)

We bought this set a while back, but with a wooden block and black handles

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richardson-Sheffield-R140MZK369K28-Kitchen-Knife/dp/B01GEGER5C/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=richardson+kyu&qid=1603881940&sr=8-3

pretty happy with it, does need fairly regular sharpening though.

How do you sharpen them ??

byegad

Legendary Member
Something that looks very similar to this: View attachment 555006
Yes, we have one of these. My knives were a wedding present, so I suspect not expensive, but it keeps them properly sharp.
Lady Byegad, on the staff's day off, so annually, is renowned for taking a steak knife for every job! Which, having worked food preparation, drives me mad.
Seeing her try to chop onions would make grown men watching on CCTV weep. I can chop an onion before she's done more than remove the root and stem ends.
I always use the appropriate knife, whereas after the first and last time I mentioned this too her I caught her trying to carve a roast with the bread knife!

Top Bottom