How much would you pay for a beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User169

Aye. Apparently only a few EUR at the 'In de Vrede' canteen. Mind you a good substite for Westy 12 is said to be St Barnardus (same recipe, but brewed down the road from the St Sixtus monastery in Poperinge), and available in the UK.

That's interesting - I'll have to try the two next to each other.

I actually prefer Rochefort 8 and 10 to Westvleteren and I can pick those up in the supermarket for 1-50 EUR.

I tried Farrier's Ale from Hereford's Shoes Brewery last weekend at Hereford Beer Festival. It's 15.5%, it's absolutely delicious and I paid nothing at all for it because we got some beer tokens as we were Sunday's band. :thumbsup:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I couldn't pay that for a beer DP. I squirm at paying over a tenner for a bottle of wine!

Is that Westvleteren beer the one from Sint Sixtus abbey? Excuse the spelling!
If so, I went there last year but didn't pay that much in the 'canteen'

Over a tenner? Flash git!

e-rider

crappy member
£4 max, if I had it to spend!

I'd rather go to TESCO and buy decent bottles of Czech lager for £1.30 a pop. put them in the back of the fridge and dream about them the next time I'm on a 90 mile ride in 30+ degree heat.

Alan Whicker

I am dying to try a Westvleteren. I turned 40 last year, and I tried 40 new beers - couldn't manage to find a Westvleteren. The El Bulli beer sounds like a publicity stunt - like the Brewdog Tactical thingy one was, made to get up the nose of the Portman Group. Mind you, Brewdog Punk IPA is a blooming sublime drop, so I'll let them off.

Bandini

Anything over £4 and it would cancel out the enjoyment of drinking it! I drink stout or 'nice' lager usually and it costs me about £3.30 for either. Unless I go to Sam Smith's pub - where the stout is, I think, £1.65 and the Taddy Lager (better than the Alpin lager) is about £1.50.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Anything over £4 and it would cancel out the enjoyment of drinking it! I drink stout or 'nice' lager usually and it costs me about £3.30 for either. Unless I go to Sam Smith's pub - where the stout is, I think, £1.65 and the Taddy Lager (better than the Alpin lager) is about £1.50.

SAm Smiths pubs seem to be a well kept secret. I don't know how they maintain their low prices but I've never come across a full pub. I thought hat there's be queues to get in.

brockers

Sam Smiths keep their prices low by by-passing the normal distribution chain of Brewery > PubCo > Tenant Landlord. In this case, the PubCo (who lease the pub to the landlord) set the price at which the landlord has to buy the beer through them (as part of the lease agreement), from the brewer. So as far as I can see this adds unnecessary cost to the consumer. Whereas Sam Smiths brew their own sauce, and sell it in their own pubs with no need for a middleman, and so are able to keep the cost down.

At least I think this is how it works.

OP
OP
U

User169

SAm Smiths pubs seem to be a well kept secret. I don't know how they maintain their low prices but I've never come across a full pub. I thought hat there's be queues to get in.

Try the Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn - that can get pretty rammed. My old office overlooked its "beer garden". Bloody annoying when I was stuck in the office late on Friday.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Eight quid for 500 ml of Stella "wife beater" at a mountain-top bar in France? The same stuff costs 84 pence round here in cans.

There was a great view, but I didn't feel able to repeat the reckless experience for fear of total financial ruination.

Top Bottom