How much would you pay for a beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
I paid 15 euro for a bottle of very ordinary beer at the Cafe de Paris in Monte Carlo.:sad:

Guess I should have checked the price before I ordered it.

Alan Whicker

I've heard that Sam Smiths haven't put their prices of their beer up since 1901(?) - what you pay for a pint supposedly reflects only tax and inflation. Whether that's true or not I dunno, but they are a very unusual company - they don't even have a website. It's thought they own all their London freeholds, which is why they could shut the Princess Louise on Holborn for months for a high-quality restoration. As far as I know they didn't even do a press release when it was reopened. There are all sorts of odd rumours about Humphrey Smith, the owner, but he never gives interviews.

OP
OP
U

User169

I've heard that Sam Smiths haven't put their prices of their beer up since 1901(?) - what you pay for a pint supposedly reflects only tax and inflation. Whether that's true or not I dunno, but they are a very unusual company - they don't even have a website. It's thought they own all their London freeholds, which is why they could shut the Princess Louise on Holborn for months for a high-quality restoration. As far as I know they didn't even do a press release when it was reopened. There are all sorts of odd rumours about Humphrey Smith, the owner, but he never gives interviews.

Excellent urinals in the Princess Louise.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

The Three Goats Heads in Oxford is another good Sammy Smiths pub - wiled away a few hours in there on many an occasion.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Back to the OP - I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a beer on spec but if it came highly recommended, as a connoisseur of fine ale, I'd give it go.
icon_smile_tongue.gif

OP
OP
U

User169

Albert Hein? I'll be back your way in two weeks and shopping for beer first priority.

Albert Hein stocks Westmalle and La Trappe, but you'll need to go to C1000 to get Rochefort. Gall and Gall stocks Orval and Chimay. I've never seen Westvleteren or Achel sold in shops, so you'll need to go to Trappistenlokaal 't Klooster or Doerak (both on Verwersdijk) to get hold of those.

By the time you've done that you'll have covered all of the trappists!

Hope you have nice hol - are you staying anywhere nice? Drop me a line if you'd like to meet up for a beer and/or ride, although it sounds like we may be on holiday at the same time you are.

Chrisc

Guru
Albert Hein stocks Westmalle and La Trappe, but you'll need to go to C1000 to get Rochefort. Gall and Gall stocks Orval and Chimay. I've never seen Westvleteren or Achel sold in shops, so you'll need to go to Trappistenlokaal 't Klooster or Doerak (both on Verwersdijk) to get hold of those.
By the time you've done that you'll have covered all of the trappists!

Hope you have nice hol - are you staying anywhere nice? Drop me a line if you'd like to meet up for a beer and/or ride, although it sounds like we may be on holiday at the same time you are.

Cheers! We're over first two weeks of August. Staying at Delftse Hout in our trailer tent. Bringing my Batavus back to it's homeland to do a bit of easy riding.

OP
OP
U

User169

Cheers! We're over first two weeks of August. Staying at Delftse Hout in our trailer tent. Bringing my Batavus back to it's homeland to do a bit of easy riding.

Good choice - Delftse Hout's great. We live about 5 min cycle away and swim at the lake most weekends if the weather's good. Last weekend we got out of the water only then noticing the signs advising of high levels of blue-green algae! We don't seem to have been ill though and plenty of other people seemed to be ignoring the warnings.

I'll be back in Delft second week of Aug.

Chrisc

Guru
Good choice - Delftse Hout's great. We live about 5 min cycle away and swim at the lake most weekends if the weather's good. Last weekend we got out of the water only then noticing the signs advising of high levels of blue-green algae! We don't seem to have been ill though and plenty of other people seemed to be ignoring the warnings.

I'll be back in Delft second week of Aug.

We stayed last year and really enjoyed it. Don't often go straight back somewhere but there were things we missed and it was just do relaxing a spot. Easy to get to with the Hull ferries as well in comparison to the long slog to the south coast to visit France. Getting lazy!
We didn't swim in the lake last time. There was a day when the police helicopters were there all day along with divers and rescue boats but we never found out what happened. Hoped it was a good outcome but it didn't look like it to be honest.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could hardly launch a fancy beer and then sell it cheap! People would think it was no good!

Top Bottom