How much would you spend on an aftershave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Having just retired from that industry I'll give you an idea of the costs involved in that £110 bottle:

Assuming 100 gms contents:

7 percent perfume oil about £1.00
Ethanol and emollients, UV stabiliser about, I dunno, 50p
Packaging a couple of quid
And so on.

Robbery

That is only a very small list of what it takes to get it into the customers hands though. Did you complain about your high wages which were part of the cost and did not list, I have never been in that industry but I have been a business owner for a long time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well you're right of course, it's an industry with good margins but the fine fragrance part is really extravagant thanks to the way advertising adds value.

Being a builder I generally smell “manly” most late afternoons 😄
You may be onto something.
In view of various media stuff and ads for other stuff (sugary drinks, sugary chocs?) showing young women ogling builders, I'd get your "sweaty builder" line out pronto for christmas.

Brut and Old Spice won't smell like they did in the 60s, elf'n safety has banned the interesting raw materials.
What on earth was in it?
I do have a bottle of Tabac from very early 80s - not touched it for decades - should I call the bomb squad/report myself to MI5 before they bash the door in?

byegad

Legendary Member
My bottle of old spice is still going strong!
Bought for me at xmas 1976, it's still half full.

This could be due to the fact that I've had a full beard since January 1977.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I bought 3 bottles but I don't actually like it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I like a splash after a shave but don't spend much.
The last one I bought was a 'smell alike' for 10 quid and is imo very good ie smells nice and a small amount lasts a long time.

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit that I buy my smellies from a firm called D&P in Turkey although they do have shops in other countries UK included, seem to be around £6 to £10 a bottle and they last very well.

If you order bacon, eggs, sausages, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms in a hotel in Tokyo you get a Full English Breakfast. The fact that it was made in Japan is irrelevant.
He is talking about Scotch whisky not a full English. It doesn't come from Scotland therefore its not Scotch whisky.
There is something called protectected status for food names. Why do you think the UK has to abide by this and nobody else has to?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
@Globalti is there a best before for fragrances? i.e. do the contents deteriorate with time and of so, how long after opening would it be deemed to have gone bad?

Top Bottom