How much!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
The owner is quite fond of telling me how little he makes, I also know enough to know that's not true either!

Most employee's think that.

MarkF

Guru
I only post on 3 forums, cycling, horology and scooters, same guff always pops up.

I know a Casio is better timekeeper than my favourite Ollech & Wajs automatic, I know a modern Japanese scooter is better than my 1962 Vespa and I know my Crane top is as good as my a favourite blue Campagnolo one. But I know which items I gain pleasure from and look after and they are the things that provide value to me, the purchase cost doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
The owner is quite fond of telling me how little he makes, I also know enough to know that's not true either!

Out of interest, do you know how much he pays in rent and rates, that scared my when we were looking at shops in Twickenham 30 years ago.

bpsmith

Veteran
In all honesty I know of very few people with more money than sense, I do though know a few jealous people.
It would appear that there are also some people with less sense than money, and with very little money (if you believe the above), there's not much sense it seems.

bpsmith

Veteran
Would that be a type of nonsense?
Yup. :ohmy:

Like the above troll of a thread.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Everyone has their own opinion. I tend to buy Castelli gear, albeit in the sales so that it costs a lot less. There are lots of ways in which to save.

Having actual experience of the kit in question, the materials are more breathable, a lot better at wicking away sweat, the fit is better and the quality remains after many many washes.

Whether it's worth the difference in cost, is clearly down to the individuals opinion. I would, and have, certainly recommended Castelli kit to my friends and they are happy too.

Does that mean your opinion is wrong, definitely not. Whatever floats your boat.
I bought a pair of their gloves in the spring and the stitching came apart after about five rides . Now looking at a new skinsuit and i wont be buying their kit .

bpsmith

Veteran
I bought a pair of their gloves in the spring and the stitching came apart after about five rides . Now looking at a new skinsuit and i wont be buying their kit .
I can totally understand that logic. You've actually used the brand in question, have poor experience, and therefore won't buy again. The OP appears to have not tried any 'expensive' kit and still thinks it's all rubbish.

I have bought about 12 Castelli items, so far. The only item that I have complaint over, is their overshoes. My own fault though, as I didn't factor in the extra bulk of the boa dials on my Sidi's. Ironically, it was the stitching that failed, but that would be the weak link when stretched too tight. Stitching itself was fine, but pulled through the neoprene.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I can totally understand that logic. You've actually used the brand in question, have poor experience, and therefore won't buy again. The OP appears to have not tried any 'expensive' kit and still thinks it's all rubbish.

Thats his call but personally i think paying less than £60 for a pair of shorts is a waste of money . I dont like my arse feeling like its been caved in at the blue oyster bar :eek:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
For winter stuff, I like the Aldi/Lidl cycling stuff as the padding doesn't have to be up to that much, in the shorts, as I'm not on my bike for hours on end. Summer shorts are Fat Lass At the Back as they are very comfy, fit in all the right places and are nicely styled. I really was shocked at £54 for a pair but they are very comfy. I am waiting for them to come off back order, in my size (size 3! Get me!) and I'll order another pair as the quality is excellent.
However, as lovely as their tops are, I tend to go down the cheap and cheerful route. Retro designs off the back of Norwich Market, on the 'vintage' stall for a tenner a top, is my favourite place.

Top Bottom