How much?????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes I can see why, but don't be. Once you have got your bike and gear set up just right for you, saddle-hardened your backside and got nutrition and hydration sorted, stepping up distances is really not that hard.

Thanks for that. When I first considerd the matter of doing this I thought, 50 miles before lunch, 50 after, 8/9 hours in the saddle. How hard can it be? I think perhaps I was being a bit naive!

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Thanks for that. When I first considerd the matter of doing this I thought, 50 miles before lunch, 50 after, 8/9 hours in the saddle. How hard can it be? I think perhaps I was being a bit naive!
Not naive! We did the ride in 9days + 3 peaks challenge on way back & I'm in my 50's so its achievable.
We did 30m before breakfast (flapjack before the off) then 50 to lunch and finished off with 20m. Break the day up into smaller sections and its easier! Believe me:shy:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not naive! We did the ride in 9days + 3 peaks challenge on way back & I'm in my 50's so its achievable.
We did 30m before breakfast (flapjack before the off) then 50 to lunch and finished off with 20m. Break the day up into smaller sections and its easier! Believe me:shy:

Thanks, I'm in my 50's too, that's encouraging.

Hugo

Thanks, I'm in my 50's too, that's encouraging.
I did it 2 years ago with friends and as much of a great experience it was organising the whole thing we also had lots of time on our hands during university holidays. My dad is going to do the Deloitte RAB ride in 2014 aged 68.

Twilkes

Guru
I know someone who was involved with the day-to-day behind the scenes of the Deloitte ride, and this year he chose the Deloitte over the Tour of Britain (they overlapped) because of the atmosphere and camaraderie of the thing - staff staying out late with the stragglers and the everyone-in-it-together-ness of it, didn't get the impression that it was corporate at all. So the only thing that should put you off it is the price, or the number of cyclists you would be sharing your trip with. I wouldn't choose to do it because personally I can't stand cyclists, motley-minded craven wagtails the lot of them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I met a bloke last month who is going to be one of the cycle guides on the Deloitte route. He is one of the fastest cyclist up some hill in south London or summat, nice fella.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Nope, not for me, the planning bit and organising is the dull bit, I'm not a planning sort of person me, just wanna go and ride the bike. I love the idea of folk luggin all the gear around and sorting out the other stuff. What I really would like, and would be prepared to pay for is something like the Deloitte package but better. Instead of camping, hotels, and someone to get me to and from the start and finish.

And someone to ride the difficult bits too.
hi carlp
used these back in 2009 on a tour in the french alps very well run company they have a few options you might be interested in http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/supportendtoend4.html
have done lejog twice 1995(40th) and 2005(50th) first time solo used the ctc yha route the second was with a guy looking for a ride buddy for the trip on the ctc forum (we still ride together).lol never planned acc we just rode till we felt we had enough then looked for a b+b (did carry a tent just in case) used it twice

planning on a third 2015 (60th) but jogle for a change planning own route and unsurported again (its the best way)

Jigwar

I have just found this http://iloapp.1000miles2wheels.co.uk/blog/robwaite?ShowFile&doc=1294145826.pdf, a pdf of a training plan the RAB team suggest. Do people really have the time to commit to plan like this?

Nope!

But I'm doing the ride this year, and to be fair the verbal commentary that comes with this plan says its more a case of just fitting in "little and often" training where possible. So to that end I've been riding on week days as part of my commute and this has seen my miles really ramp up in preparation. Or what I hope is in preparation :thumbsup: !!

I might start a new thread on my own prep for this so far....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Nope!

But I'm doing the ride this year, and to be fair the verbal commentary that comes with this plan says its more a case of just fitting in "little and often" training where possible. So to that end I've been riding on week days as part of my commute and this has seen my miles really ramp up in preparation. Or what I hope is in preparation :thumbsup: !!

I might start a new thread on my own prep for this so far....

Are you doing the Delloitte ride, or a general JOGLE?

Jigwar

.... I would be very interested to read about your experiences of the ride when you have done it.

I will try to post as much as possible to the new thread, and blog, both before, during and after the ride.

Steve

Squiggles

Me and my housemates are doing it this Summer,

Hopefully for a cheaply as possible. Going to take a tent and stealth camp wherever we can. I think it will add to the adventure personally, but I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to older, richer folk.

Top Bottom