How often do you change the SPD cleats on your shoes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Absolutely, they last forever!

SPD SL's however, 2 to 3 sets a year.
I use 1 pair of SPD SL's per year, though they are still in full working order when I change them as I try to avoid walking in them. Im sure I have seen rubber covers for them in the past?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I replace them when the front of the cleat gets noticeably rounded (from walking).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only ever changed mine on the shoes I used for commuting - took years to wear out, but they had started to un-clip when not intended (this is on a fixed gear bike though).

Bought some new shoes about 3 years ago and forgot I needed cleats. I good rummage in the parts box and I found a brand new pair.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
SPD never changed them, have at least 3 sets brand new in packets. SPD-SL fairly regularly left foot almost twice as much as right. Have now switched my whole fleet over to Look Keo because of my power meter so have quite a few SPD-SLs and now Look Keo cleats hanging around too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They get replaced when the clipping and and out and retention bothers me once too often. My winter boots are now 18 years old and the cleats have been replaced a few times. My summer ones are much newer but cleats still get replaced when their function has deteriorated due to wear.

How many miles do they do, not sure, but usually anywhere between 10,000 and 20,000 miles. So sometimes less than a year and sometimes less than two years. The shoes nowhere near worn out.

si_c

Guru
I replace mine when I can't get them off the old pair of shoes because the bolts have rounded out from grit and gravel.

I replace mine when I can't get them off the old pair of shoes because the bolts have rounded out from grit and gravel.
if you can't get them off, how do you replace them?

TimWinters

Regular
In short they are bomb proof, unless you are having trouble with them just leave them.

I had a set of shoes for 7 years. They were so comfy I glued and stiched them to keep them going. When I finally threw them away the cleats were still fine. I didn't reuse them only because I had a couple of spare sets. I used one set of shoes on several bikes with many thousands of miles covered. I also used to go shopping on my hybrid and walk around town in my MTB shoes, the cleats and shoes had a demanding life. I have just returned to cycling after 4 years following an injury. I have been sorting out my spares box and I have 2 sets of cleats that must be over 10 years old.

johnblack

Über Member

chris-suffolk

I use 1 pair of SPD SL's per year, though they are still in full working order when I change them as I try to avoid walking in them. Im sure I have seen rubber covers for them in the past?

I've got covers for mine, and after 2 seasons I'm yet to replace the cleats. Covers are pretty thick, and don't seem to be wearing much either. Only wear on cleats is basically left foot, which is the one I put down at junctions etc. Always put the covers on when I get off the bike, no matter how short the time / distance.

johnblack

Über Member
I've got covers for mine, and after 2 seasons I'm yet to replace the cleats. Covers are pretty thick, and don't seem to be wearing much either. Only wear on cleats is basically left foot, which is the one I put down at junctions etc. Always put the covers on when I get off the bike, no matter how short the time / distance.
yep I have covers on bot my SL cleated shoes, the Shim. specific ones are far better than the Decathlon ones which are like a pair of flippers.

Top Bottom