How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The cause as much pollution as you like because you deserve it?

Denis99

Über Member
And for the 5% of the time, get a 2nd car.

The "rapid chargers are increasing every month" reminds me of "yeha get an android phone they are getting better all the time" (ok I'll just get an apple until android finally do get better then I'll switch).

Mwhahaha :smile:

You don’t have to buy a second car for the 5% of the time that you might need one. Bus, coach, train all available , you can even
can hire a car.

Yes , every month more rapid chargers are being installed, it’s a fact.

Drago

Legendary Member
The "oh, I really need 4 seats" argument went through my mind when I first considered a Smart.

53 weeks later I've yet to need them. That's 53 weeks of not kicking the environment in the nuts every time I go out because I'm not dragging around an extra unnecessary 800kg. The time will one day come, probably sooner than we realise, that the demands upon the the environment a d resources will make driving a 4 or 5 seat car with only one occupant will become unlawful, and rightly so.

Most people don't "need" 4 seats, they simply allow their lifestyles to evolve to the point where such things become a convenience, and having done so they then mindlessly drag the 3 empty ones around with them wherever they go.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The "oh, I really need 4 seats" argument went through my mind when I first considered a Smart.

53 weeks later I've yet to need them. That's 53 weeks of not kicking the environment in the nuts every time I go out because I'm not dragging around an extra unnecessary 800kg. The time will one day come, probably sooner than we realise, that the demands upon the the environment a d resources will make driving a 4 or 5 seat car with only one occupant will become unlawful, and rightly so.

Most people don't "need" 4 seats, they simply allow their lifestyles to evolve to the point where such things become a convenience, and having done so they then mindlessly drag the 3 empty ones around with them wherever they go.
I'd go along with that, other than ascribing it to lifestyles. I think it's actually more to do with image.

People don't buy big expensive cars so they can transport four people; they buy big expensive cars to show the world they can. Such willy-waving becomes at least to some extent redundant in communities where people have less issues with self-image - or more subtle ways of bolstering it - but sadly the future will be dictated by the populations of places like India and China, where flaunting success isn't going out of style anytime soon. Keeping up with the Patels, or the Wongs, will be the death of us all. Or at least, of the planet.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm lucky and never really had a car ego. It used to infuriate my ex-wife, who hated my old Peugeot 405 with 303,000 miles on it. She was a company director and insisted on impressing g neighbours who didn't care with he Boxster S or her Elise. She bought me a BMW 740iSE for my 30th Birthday (E38, for those that care) and it infuriated her that I rarely used it, preferring to cycle or use my leaky old BMW R80GS motorbike.

It must have infuriated her even more when we divorced and I sold it to free up some badly needed liquid funds, and bought a Peugeot 406 diesel.

Justify it anyway you like, it is willy waving at the expense of the planet. And Blue Hills makes another good point - my ex, who earned 4 times as much as I ever did, will be working into her 60s to pay for all this sheet. I've never had a car loan, and only one for a motorbike when I was in the army (and recall having to get the CO's permission!), and my Smart car cost me £345. As a result I retired shy of 50, despite having had nowhere near the same financial wherewithal as my ex has enjoyed over the years. That 4 or 5 hundred quid a month she probably had going out, was 4 or 5 hundred quid a month I stashed away instead.

If people want to work until they drop then that's their business, but doing it in order to buy more crap and to pollute the planet even further than I take that rather personally.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
You don’t have to buy a second car for the 5% of the time that you might need one. Bus, coach, train all available , you can even
can hire a car.

Yes , every month more rapid chargers are being installed, it’s a fact.

Sorry, was not disputing what you mentioned about the chargers, you are right.

I was just thinking about when I was thinking to switch from IPhone to android but was apprehensive. The android guys told me "it's getting better all the time" but to me it wasn't better enough for me to make the switch at that point (but later, when things became better, then I switched).

It might be the same for electric cars. Once there are enough free chargers at decent locations then I will move to electric.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Mine was dirty this morning so have changed it for a clean one.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd go along with that, other than ascribing it to lifestyles. I think it's actually more to do with image.

People don't buy big expensive cars so they can transport four people; they buy big expensive cars to show the world they can. Such willy-waving becomes at least to some extent redundant in communities where people have less issues with self-image - or more subtle ways of bolstering it - but sadly the future will be dictated by the populations of places like India and China, where flaunting success isn't going out of style anytime soon. Keeping up with the Patels, or the Wongs, will be the death of us all. Or at least, of the planet.

Of course it's to do with image. Nobody needs a Range Rover or an Audi Q7 or whatever. A Ford Fiesta will seat four normal sized people in relative comfort with room left over for a few bits and pieces of luggage. Very few people actually need anything bigger (and just because it's bigger doesn't necessarily mean more usable - sit outside your local Argos for a while and see how long before some struggles to get a big box inside a huge and posh German saloon car whereas is would easily fit a small hatchback with the seats folded down).

Nobody needs 200BHP either. A Morris Minor will go fast enough to get you a speeding ticket.

Small lightweight cars are actually more fun to drive on normal roads too.

Slick

Guru
Of course it's to do with image. Nobody needs a Range Rover or an Audi Q7 or whatever. A Ford Fiesta will seat four normal sized people in relative comfort with room left over for a few bits and pieces of luggage. Very few people actually need anything bigger (and just because it's bigger doesn't necessarily mean more usable - sit outside your local Argos for a while and see how long before some struggles to get a big box inside a huge and posh German saloon car whereas is would easily fit a small hatchback with the seats folded down).

Nobody needs 200BHP either. A Morris Minor will go fast enough to get you a speeding ticket.

Small lightweight cars are actually more fun to drive on normal roads too.

Depends on your definition I suppose but can't honestly see it.

Top Bottom