How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
SAAB were always quick to highlight the fighter jet connection in their advertising, but strangely failed to mention that the engines were built by Volvo.

The ex Mrs D had a 9000 Carlsson in the late 90s. Went like greased weasel sheet, but you're correct when you mention the chassis struggling to contain it.

Do you remember the original Strange Rover, by Keith Gott
Circa 1977-1978
Old copy of Hot Car. from back them, that's still in the hoarded piles

View attachment 474063 View attachment 474064

Found it!, whilst looking for something else
Along with another magazine, featuring one of the most highly desirable M-Bs (along with an original G-Wagon, or 'Gull-Wing')
Oh & a 4x4 Dutton...…………..

August 81, for the 'Hot Car'
June 87, for the 'O-R & 4WD'
DSCF9937.JPG DSCF9938.JPG DSCF9939.JPG DSCF9940.JPG

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I rarely change my car. Even less so now cars are so modernised

I bought my Kia Picanto 10 years ago with 60,000km on the clock. It now has 217,000km. Thats 5 times around the earth.

I top the oil up a couple of times a year and thats about it. I spent £400 this year on a couple of tyres and some suspension work. But that is by far the most I have spent on it. It runs perfectly.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I had company cars for many years, normally replaced every 3 years.

Since 2014, I’ve leased my own cars (with maintenance included) so I know what my monthly outgoings would be and no surprise bills! I’m not too fussy, I just look for deals but they take some finding as I need an auto due to back issues and they’re not so common. Usually for 2yrs a pop, but the current Volvo is 3yrs as it worked out cheaper.

Gunk

Guru
I had company cars for many years, normally replaced every 3 years.

Since 2014, I’ve leased my own cars (with maintenance included) so I know what my monthly outgoings would be and no surprise bills! I’m not too fussy, I just look for deals but they take some finding as I need an auto due to back issues and they’re not so common. Usually for 2yrs a pop, but the current Volvo is 3yrs as it worked out cheaper.

I also had company cars for years (since 1986) so we always had at least one new car every three years. My last company car a Golf GTD was in 2015, I sold my company in 2018, and bought the car off the finance company which I still have. My wife’s cars we’ve always kept until they fall apart, her last 325i touring we had for 8 years. Previous to that she had a 330i touring which we had for 7 years.

F178610-C-CDF2-4294-8-C5-F-57-A7-DF0-B78-B0.jpg

It’s replacement, again we’ll just keep until it falls apart. It’s a nice car and far cheaper to run than the BMW’s.

4-DE7-A7-A3-2-C40-4556-9206-4-BA047349151.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got a Peugeot Partner couple of years ago because my local garage was making ominous remarks
about the rear suspension of the Fiat Panda and three of the wheels collapsed and would not hold air any longer. Seats removed easily from the Peugeot and it holds my Ice Trike and Brompton and if the trike is folded it also takes the Bike Friday unfolded. There is also a tow bar which makes a trailer a useful accessory.

Top Bottom