How often do you check your tires for debris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pac-man

I check the tyre pressure of whichever bike I ride almost religiously.
but rarely ever check the tyre surface for embedded glass, flints or other debris.

but doing so on one of my rare "Ooo i think i clean the bike" modes, was amazed by the shear amount of debris that was embedded in the tyre (some quite large) of my daily commute bike running Conti Sport contacts... what amazed me further was, even though a small screwdriver was needed to pry out some of the larger pieces (2x3mm in size) the tube never punctured... hats off to Conti.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After every ride (and also during long rides)
Dig all the crap out. And there is a lot of crap in the mean streets of SE London.
It's amazing at how much does actually stick to the tyre and start to work it's way in.

I had 3 punctures last year in over 10,000 miles. 1 was due to a pot hole.

So for me it makes sense.

Maz

Guru
By habit, I always spin the wheels before a ride and put the palm of my hand against it, to knock out and bits of shrapnel.

donnydave

Über Member
I never used to check them and just accepted punctures as a part of cycling but one day out the blue I thought I would have a close look, armed with an old dart to flick the stones out and my god I couldn't believe how much stuff was dug in, and even more so I couldn't believe the stuff stuck in the tyre hadn't caused an explosion. I now check probably every 2-3 nights just spend 5 minutes tops pinging out the debris and I worry a lot less about punctures because I know I've done all I reasonably can to prevent them

Plax

Guru
Don't really check for debris I must confess. I do however always check the tyre pressures before I set off and top up the air. This is because I am such a poor excuse for a cyclist nowadays that by the time I get round to cycling again my tyres are practically deflated.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Once a week. Will check after a ride if I know I went through a dodgy section of stones/glass.

After every ride (and also during long rides)
Dig all the crap out. And there is a lot of crap in the mean streets of SE London.
It's amazing at how much does actually stick to the tyre and start to work it's way in.

I had 3 punctures last year in over 1000 miles. 1 was due to a pot hole.

So for me it makes sense.
1,000 miles? You need to cycle more!
Out of interest, what tires are you using?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once a week. Will check after a ride if I know I went through a dodgy section of stones/glass.

1,000 miles? You need to cycle more!
Out of interest, what tires are you using?

oops, edited :thumbsup:

For leisure rides Robino pros
For commute Schwalbe London's. Used to swear by Armadillos but fancied a change. They are great tyres but they do ride like you're cycling through melted tar.

D

Deleted member 20519

Just checked mine now, the front is full of cuts and the rear had flat parts where it had completely worn away :eek:

Top Bottom