How often do you check your tires for debris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
think I may be embarrassed to say "only if I have a puncture". Last one December 2011. But I having done a quick check of the tyres I have in the house and on my bikes, there is very little in them (studded tyres being the exception, I expect - no want bits of tungsten in them). Even on tour I only picked up the 1 flat over 14,000km from something that would have taken a lorry tyre out - what got me is how I didn't see it on the road given its size!

Tynan

Veteran
never, the outer is rubber but there's a well tough breaker layer below that, on my tyres anyway, I trust that to stop small things 'working their way through', the flats I do get all look like somethng long and sharp has penetrated violently

I wore my previous rear square and right through to the breaker layer across the full running width, still no flats, I ditched in the end because it was riding odd

some of you lot are OCD I reckon

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hardly ever. I have a peek before a FNRttC because Management suggests it, but otherwise I don't bother. I'm pretty sharp ( sorry) ) at spotting glinting glass on the streets of west London and if I wing a patch of it, I stop and spin both wheels slowly to check. Otherwise, if She wants me, She will most certainly get me.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I check the tyre pressure of whichever bike I ride almost religiously.
but rarely ever check the tyre surface for embedded glass, flints or other debris.

but doing so on one of my rare "Ooo i think i clean the bike" modes, was amazed by the shear amount of debris that was embedded in the tyre (some quite large) of my daily commute bike running Conti Sport contacts... what amazed me further was, even though a small screwdriver was needed to pry out some of the larger pieces (2x3mm in size) the tube never punctured... hats off to Conti.
After every ride and super glue any small holes or cuts

gilespargiter

Veteran
I just have quick look on the infrequent occasions I need to pump the tyres up. Can't understand what all this fear of punctures is anyway. They are pretty rare, main thing that happens is the tyre goes flat at the bottom and they take only a few minutes to fix. I think in the last year I have had two and one of those was a "classic" hedge clipping jobby.

B164D

I've just ordered some red Rubinos to help my Triban 3 cope with my glass-strewn commute but if they don't do the job then I'll make some. Searching Google Images for "flintcatcher" throws up loads of examples.

Whenever I'm riding with DZ :thumbsup:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
About once a week here. I ride along lots of tracks etc, full of small, sharp flint and thorns. Amazing how much stuff I pull out of my tyres sometimes!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
once a week

a pal of mine made himself some tyresavers effectively by taping a cut yoghurt pot onto the end of his mudguards to scrape the wheel clean as it rolled past.

Top Bottom