How often do you check your tires for debris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Regularly.

wanda2010

Guru
I'm sure I had fewer punctures when I only checked the pressure! (probably selective memory :whistle:)

Having recently adopted User10571/Ian's weekly check I've had a few deflations, although one was due to a pothole, one a 'winter' puncture and one I'm going to attribute to an 'early morning alarm' :rolleyes:. I, too, am always surprised at what I manage to dig out, mostly tiny bits of glass but sometimes stone. I superglue all cuts and leave overnight to 'marinade' before doing bicep/tricep dips with the track pump in the morning ^_^

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's not something I really do, although I did glance at my bike last year and notice a drawing pin stuck in the front tyre. :ohmy: The M+ was fine and I have no idea how long id carried it around.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
By habit, I always spin the wheels before a ride and put the palm of my hand against it, to knock out and bits of shrapnel.
A gloved palm, presumably. Whilst riding, a gloved palm on the front wheel or the side of the foot on the rear* will clear most stuff you've just ridden through.

*Mudguarded bike. Do not attempt on a fixed-wheel**. You can use a hand if no mudguards, but careful because it's possible to jam hand between wheel and frame with painful and undignified outcome**.

**Verified experimentally.

GrasB

Veteran
A cursory eye over the tyre for exposed tube & large bits of embedded junk. Besides that I let it be, I don't bother with gluing cuts etc. I tend to find I'll get 1 or 2 punctures on a tyre before I get a puncture almost every ride. When this happens invariably the finger & thumb tell me it's new tyre time.

Both tyres, every ride. It's an old habit and it just happens without me meaning to do it.

My general maintenance schedule is haphazard and amateurish, but I check tyre surfaces, brakes and tyre pressures religiously.

Amen.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I do a tyre check and a brake check before every ride: it's all of you on here that did teach me! :biggrin:

Trail Child

I try & remember to check my tires for pressure & dirt before every ride. If I know I've ridden through any glass etc, I like to stop at a convenient place just to check things over.

wisdom

Guru
Well you have certainly made it become part of my routine from now on.
I mickle weekly then check my tyre pressures.From now on i will add check tyres to the list.Thanks guys

Top Bottom