How often do you clean your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
my bike is a month old ..... hasn't been cleaned yet. is that bad?
:ohmy:
When the only bike I got from new was "new new" I used to clean "him" every day.
Then, like in all relationships, the passion faded, took him for granted, left him to dry himself after a wet ride.
Of course, he got a rusty chain :rolleyes:
Nowadays I clean the drivetrain of the bike currently in use after every wet ride - that is every day, ha ha!
A full wash & lube maybe once a week or less if I'm not working long shifts.

D

Deleted member 1258

Wash down with soapy water once a week and a polish once a month

Wash down after every wet/damp ride. After wash always use GT85/wd40 (whatever your preference) on chain, quickly, and then wipe off any excess. Wet chains tend to get a wee bit rusty.
Look after your bike and it will look after you. :thumbsup:

DTD

Veteran
Usually give my commuter a quick wipe down if it needs it and with the state of the roads it usually needs it after every ride in winter.
Mountain bike gets a clean every time it's rode if it's muddy.
Road bike good clean every couple of weeks or more often if it gets really dirty.

Crankarm

Guru
I pretty much have to clean all of bikes each and every time I ride one of them - I live at the end of a tarmac lane that is covered in mud for most of the distance. if I don't do something about the build up of mud, my bike would weigh twice what it should and whilst it may help build some muscles up, it also stops my brakes from working - the mud is wet and freezes in a block around the brake blocks. Also the chain and pretty much any moving parts get caked in mud and they don't like it much and it is much easier to get off when it is still wet.
(One of my neighbours deals with this issue by driving his bike to the end of the lane, parking up and cycling to work from there! but I don't have that luxury) A thorough clean with rag is usually only once a fortnight though for things like the frame, rack, spokes, spoke reflectors, wheels rims etc

Bl00dy farmers ................

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Every time i've been out this past fortnight i've had to wash my bike off because of the salt. i Haven't got a power washer so i chuck loads of buckets of water at it, then brush it using a bit of washing up liquid, then throw loads more buckets at it.
I've got that @#@! off doing it that i've taken to walking short journeys instead.:sad:

Bl00dy farmers ................
not the farmers - it is from the townies & city folk +dog walkers who seem to think staying on the road does not apply to them (parking anywhere and everywhere including the only passing places) and that cutting corners because they don't like the bends is fine. Given it is a single track winding (tarmaced) lane mud is all over it... cutting the corners is the biggest issues where they leave the road, and then pull mud back up onto it (they do this despite the 1/2 foot drop that is very clearly visible!)
heavy rain is a blessing in dsiguise - it washes the mud away (!) but when it is really bad, I have to carry a second water bottle of water just to clean the brakes up when I get to the 'main' road (1/2-1mile away), so I have something other than a solid lump of mud for my braking system.

Top Bottom