How often do you clean your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had bad luck then.
I think so.
When mine detached (as I said probably due to external interference) I did actually manage to find the two bits of the link on the road and it was never a problem again for the life of that chain. In any case, I would always recommend carrying a spare link set for any chain you are running - just as if you were running the devilish push-in pin system you would carry spare pins.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After every ride, but only by running it both ways through a piece of rag for about 45 seconds .
This.

MTB chains will end up in a tub of degreaser when needed and seriously mucky.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
thanks - that was also my understanding about KMC, which i now tend to use.
I maybe only separate a chain three or four times at most during its life anyway.
New link with new chain of course.

That makes sense.

As opposed to a chain regime that involves cleaning before lubricating, requiring splitting the link every time, which is asking for trouble.

That makes sense.

As opposed to a chain regime that involves cleaning before lubricating, requiring splitting the link every time, which is asking for trouble.
sorry - to clarify - I DO split the chain to clean it before re-lubing and linking again with the same link. I see nothing wrong with this for 8 or 9 speed. I meant that the link ALWAYS gets changed with a new chain regardless. No problem as new chains almost always come with a link - but beware the odd cheapo offer where they might not do - always as well to check.

My good bikes will get cleaned after every ride in winter but can go several weeks in summer (exception being the gravel bike, it gets cleaned after every ride). The commuter can go for several weeks (its actually went a year as Ive been WfH). Occasionally on all bikes if I I don't have time for a full clean it's just a wipe down, lube and outer link wipe.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
sorry - to clarify - I DO split the chain to clean it before re-lubing and linking again with the same link. I see nothing wrong with this for 8 or 9 speed.

I think it was probably I who wasn't clear enough.

I was contrasting your (sensible) approach of splitting the chain no more than 3 or 4 times during its life to clean it, against removing the quick link every time it needs lubricating.

Top Bottom