How often do you clean your chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommohawk

I now use GT85 and a cloth. I also have a muc off chain cleaner but find that it’s too much hassle and needs a lot of degreaser to get the job done.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not very often at all if I'm honest. If I clean the bike, then I clean and oil the chain too, but that might be months between cleans depending on what the weather has been like.
If the weather is filthy it gets done more often.
If I was still commuting I'd probably do it once a week, and I'd just use a rag to wipe it. I had a chain cleaner once, what an unnecessary faff that was.

Every 6 months or so when I can feel grit and resistance. Degrease chain and cassette, wash out completely and then relube.

Occasional wipe down with rag if muddy or dirty.

I ride on tow paths and other similar thigns a lot

so - in summer - probably when ever I feel like it - I use degreaser in a chain cleaner thing and wind the chain through it and then properly re-lube it

In winter when it is cold and wet
and the mud goes everywhere

probably about 1/10 as much as I should but in extreme circumstances I hose the bike down and dry it with the leaf blower
then wind the chain through an oily rag to clean it and then drip some lube over it while I wind it through the gears

sometimes

given that it is a centre powered ebike the chain takes a lot of excess power so I probably need to change it every year or so - hence cleaning it is not so essential!!!

presta

Guru
At the beginning of the winter, the end of the winter, before a summer tour, and after the tour, so that'll be roughly every 1200-1500 miles.
I get about 5,000 miles out of a chain, 9,000 out of a middle chainring, and 19,000 out of a sprocket.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not enough...
Same

Chief Broom

Veteran
Being a newbie i just bought 'The total bike maintenance book' by Mel Allwood and have been following this regime- oil every 100m or so and wipe over with a rag after every ride, makes sense to me. Not doing this and having to get a toothbrush out to scrub the grot can force dirt into the links- which makes sense to avoid. :okay:

I oil a fair bit with liquidy oil, wiping the outside of the chain - hoping that that removes some of the grit/muck. I then generally tend to feel the chain with my fingers every now and again and if it feels gritty, get down to cleaning it - shaking in a plastic milk bottle with degreaser - gave up on those clip-on chain devices years ago. Also often clean if I've had a particularly mucky ride. Don't clean enough but better than the past - I think I then had the idea that oiling chains was to stop rust - the idea that it might lube/make things run with less resistance seemed to have escaped me.
Also tend to clean if about to set off on a tour of any sort.

Works best but replacing link on 9+ speed chains every time soon gets expensive. That's where contraptions come to shine.
simple answer - don't go above 9 speed - I'm never going to. Definitely no need if not racing. I sometimes wonder if you even need to racing.
Compatibity of various assorted drivetrain bits also far easier at 9 speed. Pretty easy to mix and match even with my limited skills.

sasquath

simple answer - don't go above 9 speed - I'm never going to. Definitely no need if not racing. I sometimes wonder if you even need to racing.
Compatibity of various assorted drivetrain bits also far easier at 9 speed. Pretty easy to mix and match even with my limited skills.
9 speed chains also call for single use special link. At least my kmc did, and skimping on replacement after clean sponsored me a looong walk home with chain in my pocket...and bruised balls...:cursing:
Can't see the need for even 9 speed really, 5 speed was enough for most of my riding:blush:

Last edited:
Top Bottom