How often do you need rescuing?

How often do you need to be rescued from a mechanical on average?

• once in every 100 miles

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • once in every 1,000 miles

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • once in every 10,000 miles

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • once in every 100,000 miles

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • less often or never been rescued

Votes: 69 62.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
I misvoted. I realised I have been rescured once. Evans replaced by tern frame with a Dahon and the saddle mount cracked from the frame causing me to fall onto the rear wheel / derailleur and have an extremely sore posterior. I called for rescue on that occasion!

I misvoted. I realised I have been rescured once. Evans replaced by tern frame with a Dahon and the saddle mount cracked from the frame causing me to fall onto the rear wheel / derailleur and have an extremely sore posterior. I called for rescue on that occasion!
I plead guilty to being rescued once.
Also on a dahon :smile:
I'm pretty confident i won't have to be again.

freiston

Veteran
Yep. Carrying sufficient clothes or heaters to keep warm while making the fix is a very good idea at this time of year.
This goes for waiting for a pick-up too. I don't have a "phone home" option (there are people I could lean on if I really needed the support but I wouldn't want to do it) but I usually have extra clothing with me in case I find myself inactive and cooling down.

Big John

Guru
I needed rescuing yesterday but my missus was busy doing the Sunday dinner and told me to sort my own problems out, bless her. I was about 5 miles from home when the right foot clipless pedal came completely off the spindle. It was stuck to the cleat and I couldn't get it off. I tried to get the pedal back on the spindle when it came off again but thankfully this time came off the cleat (I say 'thankfully' because has anyone tried getting a clipless pedal off a cleat by hand? Not easy, I promise you). It bounced on the road and into the verge never to be seen again. I managed to pedal one legged (my left leg which by pure luck is my strongest leg) back home. On the flat it was fine but on the inclines not the easiest thing to do. As you can imagine there was loads of sympathy when I got back 😂

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I presume you could shorten the chain and run it as single speed if absolutely necessary?
As in this example (which I linked to a few pages back)...

I was in a group of about 30 riders on the Costa Blanca. We had just hit a small hill and were starting to power our way up it when we heard a loud noise and a stream of expletives coming from the back of the group. A rider had just tried to change gear and his gear hanger had broken, sending his rear mech into the wheel. Several spokes were broken, his mech was hanging down into the wheel and the chain was mangled. We were about 30 miles from our hotel, in the middle of nowhere.

Between us, we managed to take off his rear mech, shorten the damaged section of chain and turn his bike into a singlespeed for the ride back, and straighten his rear wheel enough to make it rideable with the back brake slackened off.

Will Spin

Über Member
Twice in The last 10 years. Once when the rider was incapacitated in a crash- ambulance ride and once when a stick flicked up into the front wheel, resulting in a spectacular crash and wrecked bike, rider luckily not quite so wrecked.
20210202_085759.jpg

In the latter case I could have phoned a taxi and left the bike to be collected later but I decided to call my wife (probably in the long run more expensive than the taxi).

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This goes for waiting for a pick-up too. I don't have a "phone home" option (there are people I could lean on if I really needed the support but I wouldn't want to do it) but I usually have extra clothing with me in case I find myself inactive and cooling down.
To a degree, but it's easier to run laps of the bike when not trying to fix it!

Top Bottom