How old do you have to be before you have to tell everyone how old you are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I just wonder at what stage you stop trying to look and act older so you can buy fags and booze as a teenager and when you actually try to make yourself look younger...

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to still keep on trying

snorri

Legendary Member
Hmm, there is the idea that old people tell you their age but this is nothing compared to the following which will always be dropped into the conversation quicker:
1. I am a vegan
2. I am pregnant
But the all time quickest thing you will be told without asking..................I have the new iPhone.

Conversely, some of us less young people like to tell of cycle tours lasting for weeks that were successfully completed without including a gps/satnav or mobile phone in our luggage^_^

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
4 year old. My 4year old nephew liked telling everyone, 'I'm 4 you know'. He's just turned 5 so I guess we'll be hearing a lot 'I'm 5 you know' :rolleyes:

I don't use the you know phrase myself, I just say 'I'm nearly 40'.

"I'm 3 & a half, nearly 4" my little girl keeps reminding everyone.
My daughter tells everyone her age. She's "nearly 6".

Those ½s and ¾s use to be oh so important in the rush to grow up.

When I was a kid, for some reason, I thought that the ultimate age to be was 7. When I got to that age, I realised it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and wished I was 10 instead!! :laugh:

It could be argued that I haven't really grown up (mentally) much since then....... :whistle:

I'm 20! Some days, I feel very very old indeed. Like, whenever I've gone and visited my old school, and all the little barstewards have gone, "Didn't leave?"

"Yes, I know and I'm still here in this small town. Shut up."

With things like Facebook you can keep track of a lot of people you knew at school and boy, do some really depress with their achievements, especially those who are younger!

Coming up 63 and still not a real grown up, work now a fast fading memory like my hair.

It's the oldies that tell you their age followed by all their ailments that get me...GO AWAY!!

Oh, I have had Brain damage, Leukaemia and Colitis, and I am nowhere near the age of some of you yet! :tongue:
If I get to any decent age then it will be a miracle!!

58 - 59 in June.

I don't feel any different to when I was 30.

I sometimes feel very old indeed, but, conversely, I started on an ILA course (I can tell you what it is, but I would then have to kill you) yesterday and rapidly realised that, because the course is on during the day, everyone else there are pensioners or people who took early retirement (the younger people do the night classes apparently).

People were trying to guess how old I was as they all thought there was a lower age limit! All I will say is that I was the youngest there by at least 20 years.

I am used to it though as I do Curling! :giggle:

I'm old enough to know better, but young enough to still keep on trying

I am old enough to know better, but young enough to still be learning, that's how I see it.

As for me?? Well, mind your own beeswax, but I was born on the day the HMS Sheffield was hit by the misiles that ultimately sank her, so you can work that out if you are desperate enough.

Last edited:
I've been working at the my present job (golf course) for eight years. There was some old geezer who EVERY time I saw him playing golf, which was several times a week, used to tell me he was 84, and (naturally increased it every year by one).

I found out yesterday that he died during the winter, so he should have made the most of his last golf week before the course closed last September.

Mind you, if I get to 92 and can still play golf/cycle/crap in my incontinence pants, I'll be well pleased.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQctdp22JY8j9P-f0jpczXI7L76qwI2Cin-GywK23lbtVn2UuKzYA.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
49 last month.
As old as you feel, sometimes 20, sometimes 80!
Neighbour tells everyone he's 83 but, as he's fitter and more alert/active than many people younger then he's allowed to.

Reactions: GM

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
When I was a kid, for some reason, I thought that the ultimate age to be was 7. When I got to that age, I realised it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and wished I was 10 instead!! :laugh:

It could be argued that I haven't really grown up (mentally) much since then....... :whistle:

With things like Facebook you can keep track of a lot of people you knew at school and boy, do some really depress with their achievements, especially those who are younger!

Oh, I have had Brain damage, Leukaemia and Colitis, and I am nowhere near the age of some of you yet! :tongue:
If I get to any decent age then it will be a miracle!!

I sometimes feel very old indeed, but, conversely, I started on an ILA course (I can tell you what it is, but I would then have to kill you) yesterday and rapidly realised that, because the course is on during the day, everyone else there are pensioners or people who took early retirement (the younger people do the night classes apparently).

People were trying to guess how old I was as they all thought there was a lower age limit! All I will say is that I was the youngest there by at least 20 years.

I am used to it though as I do Curling! :giggle:

I am old enough to know better, but young enough to still be learning, that's how I see it.

As for me?? Well, mind your own beeswax, but I was born on the day the HMS Sheffield was hit by the misiles that ultimately sank her, so you can work that out if you are desperate enough.
I was in university that day.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Hmm, there is the idea that old people tell you their age but this is nothing compared to the following which will always be dropped into the conversation quicker:

1. I am a vegan
2. I am pregnant

But the all time quickest thing you will be told without asking..................

I have the new iPhone.

Don't forget those who've been on the yawningly dull middle-class jolly, ie gap year - "of course when I was in India/Tibet/vietfugginnam/etc..."

Top Bottom