How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you want o see the photos :ohmy: :laugh:

@Tripster , please say no , we have already seen em :thumbsdown::headshake:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Sport in general covers such a wide spectrum of people, shapes, sizes and ages I find it really hard to actually give a stuff what clothing is being worn.

Seen a few faux pas over the years but they didn't particularly affect my day at all

Sport in general covers such a wide spectrum of people, shapes, sizes and ages I find it really hard to actually give a stuff what clothing is being worn.

Seen a few faux pas over the years but they didn't particularly affect my day at all

^^^ exactly this^^^^ I cant understand why someone would think ….ooh he/she shouldn't be wearing that after all people who live in glass houses are worth two in the bush …….or summat like that

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
One alternative is something like ..
https://www.tudorsports.co.uk/

These are more traditional than the lycra materials. I had a pair of "Lutz" 3/4 bottoms for years. Lutz were a brand that I think has disappeared, but the Tudor range is very similar.
It's not really the fabric, it's the fit that some worry about. After all we used to wear wool shorts (with REAL chamois leather inserts - not padded) and jerseys but the fit was much the same. Of course if you were more of a cycle-tourist plus fours were the thing to wear, with Argyle socks or more relaxed fitting shorts, shirt and jacket. Holdsworthy Cyclists Aids

Brandane

Legendary Member
So I suppose the next question is, what are alternatives to lycra when road bike riding ?
I have MTB shorts with padding in, some are very thin and cool for summer. What does everyone else not wearing lycra wear on a long ride ?
There is no clear answer to that. For me, it depends on many things, like the weather, where I am going, how far I am going, will I be stopping anywhere, using public transport at any stage, which bike I am using, what mood I am in, wanting to go fast or dawdle, using paths or roads, any chance of rain, etc. etc..

No. Just learn to tuck if going out in public :whistle:

And whatever you do...do NOT get white shorts :ohmy:
Have just received this from Evans.

Nigelnightmare

Ãœber Member
Nothing wrong with the lycra, but the full colour matching is way OTT. :ohmy:

I take a perverse delight in mis-matching my cycling clothes when I go for a ride e.g red jersey, black shorts, blue socks and orange/pink helmet just to hear my wife say "have you looked in a mirror at all?" There is no need for an answer.

If your helmet is orange/pink in colour you should seriously consider getting looser lycra's.:whistle:

oldkit

Regular
I am nearly 64, I wear lycra shorts and if the mercury hits above 80f, sometimes not much else, I certainly ain't a pretty sight, but will cover the top 1/2 if visiting folks. I don't give a damn what I look like, the shorts keep everything where it should be.
I ventured forth today wearing a pair of Jogging pants and regretted not wearing shorts underneath as I sat on something I didn't want to, and getting off, the leg caught on the front of my saddle, nearly had me on the floor did that!😊
Hoping for some more top off type heat afore too long.

Top Bottom