How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cycling covers such a wide spectrum, what does it matter what you wear while on a bike? I do wear lycra occasionally, but strictly limited to "home to home" rides on the road bike, which doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't dream of going into a pub or cafe dressed in lycra shorts; it's too much like wandering in in your underwear, or swimming trunks. Modesty and respect for others means I would have to put a pair of proper shorts over them. Similarly if I cycle to go and visit anyone, I won't be wandering into their house in lycra shorts. Yes they are comfortable on a bike, but I don't find "normal" clothing to be much less comfortable - and that includes several 100 mile rides done in normal shorts or leggings with lycra underneath. I think too many cyclists are sending out the wrong message by making out that cycling requires special clothing and safety equipment (not mentioning the "H" word) and putting potential cyclists off. If cycling is to become transport for the masses then it's going to have to become more inclusive. It has been refreshing to see a lot of younger people out on bikes during lockdown, wearing what they like, and bare headed too!

^^^ This. There are so many variations of cyclist, so their attire will vary accordingly. My old Peugeot mixte shopper bike has a huge squishy saddle, for example, which might not be great for a long ride (although it might work well in such an upright position), but is very comfortable for a quick spin to the local shop, wearing whatever you're wearing. No need for pads and lycra! And this is really what general transport cycling is about - utility. The return of the general utility cyclist is what will drive improvement to infrastructure, as that will rightly be perceived as more important than leisure cycling.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

So I suppose the next question is, what are alternatives to lycra when road bike riding ?
I have MTB shorts with padding in, some are very thin and cool for summer. What does everyone else not wearing lycra wear on a long ride ?

OP
OP
T

Tripster

seriously ,:wacko: have you not read the replys:laugh: .....loads of alternatives available.
Sorry, 🙄 as in like Sharkys reply, alternatives users wear, review of, good make they came across and now use regular 👍

Top Bottom