How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
And who wants to look like a pro when you're not? I'm not insecure about not having a ProTeam contract!

Chap who owns our LBS told me that some of customers are so in to the whole pro look and image they've almost convinced themselves that if Chris Froome had an off day, they could hop on a team bike and win a stage!

The opposite is also possible, with irritation from Lycra, badly placed pad edge seams and sweat retained by the pad.

And who wants to look like a pro when you're not? I'm not insecure about not having a ProTeam contract!
I do agree that cheap poorly made kit as well as expensive poorly fitted Lycra can chafe, give you saddle sores and make even a 20km bimble seem unbearable. Get the bibs right, use chamois cream if needed and the right saddle and you are laughing.
I think you missed my irony about looking pro.....
Having ridden in local TTs and club races in my past I do appreciate the benefits of snug kit but I never in my wildest imagination ever thought I'd become pro. Doesn't hurt to try and look good though 😉

beepbeep

I dont give a toss what people think of me and dont care what I look like in lycra or anything else...If its comfortable and also functional for cycling then go for it...I dont have the figure of a pro cyclist ...im over 50 but can still give the youngsters a run for their money on a ride out....
I was an avid MTB rider before I got into road cycling in a big way a few years back and always wore cheap crappy cycling clobber from Halfords / eBay but after too many sore backsides / chaffing elsewhere I decided that you get what you pay for .......Im not a FKW and dont resemble a reject from a top team but I like to wear top quality kit in bright colours ....Pink features heavily in my cycling / sports wear.

So go for it...and bollocks to the rest :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do agree that cheap poorly made kit as well as expensive poorly fitted Lycra can chafe, give you saddle sores and make even a 20km bimble seem unbearable. Get the bibs right, use chamois cream if needed and the right saddle and you are laughing.
Or just get a saddle that fits and regular clothes with room to move and no seams across the bum and you'll be laughing too. Spandex strictly optional.

I think you missed my irony about looking pro.....
Probably. Tone don't type.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
but those who go out on a road bike in their spare time generally do.

I don't wear lycra and have no intention of ever wearing lycra. Regardless of what sort of bike I am riding I dress pretty much the same - casually, ranging from semi-respectable to a borderline tramp. Most middle aged men who wear lycra really should take a good look in the mirror before venturing out in public looking like a sack of custard.

Was it an Italian team about ten years ago that had blue shorts with a red heart shaped "codpiece"?
Possibly.
I saw a team on the podium once at the end of the giro di sardegna who had an unbelievable kit based on skin tone but, though i found it once, appears to have been bleached from the web.

As long as you feel comfortable
True.
Was a woman on a ride who got me into lycra, convinced me it was just so comfortable. It is. Sometimes i wear it, sometimes not.
My lycra journey continues - 15 years later have only just been persuaded of the sometime merits of bibs. Bib longs have a lot going for them in wet cold northern parts when on long rides for sure.

Possibly.
I saw a team on the podium once at the end of the giro di sardegna who had an unbelievable kit based on skin tone but, though i found it once, appears to have been bleached from the web.

I think this is the one you are thinking about, quickly banned by the UCI after several complaints.....

Attachments

• article-2760647-2173DA2F00000578-433_636x382.jpg
    article-2760647-2173DA2F00000578-433_636x382.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 25
mm - not sure but don't think so - maybe I've banished the exact memory from my mind.

Am impressed/intrigued/maybe a tad concerned by your ready access to such a collection of fleshy horrors though.
Haha, I'm an avid pro cycling fan and have been following cycling for many years, I also have an idetic memory and stuff like this just stays in my memory for such occasions as these 🤣

Top Bottom