How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Never too old! I seem to have more cycling kit than civvies - I'm tempted to wear it all the time. 73 this year, just 9 stone. Don't forget you should be shaving your legs too ....

Venod

Eh up
Nothing wrong with the lycra, but the full colour matching is way OTT

Shorts must be black. IMO, no or discreet logos.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
A lot of it is still a mystery. For example my daughter is Type 1, but we don't know why she became type 1 Diabetic at 11 years of age. It just happened. Something somewhere started doing things with her immune system. Luckily she is managing really well so far.

Very similar to my daughter, who's now in her 40's and keeping a tight rein on her blood sugars.

I'm still in lycra when I go out (on the bike), and have no plans to do otherwise. It does help that I have the same waist size as I had 50 years ago. It's just the thighs that have a bit more meat on them.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with the lycra, but the full colour matching is way OTT. :ohmy:

I take a perverse delight in mis-matching my cycling clothes when I go for a ride e.g red jersey, black shorts, blue socks and orange/pink helmet just to hear my wife say "have you looked in a mirror at all?" There is no need for an answer.
My preferred way of doing it is to match baggy shorts with replica road team kit - Sky stuff picked up on clearance or the retro jerseys from Prendas for example - or bib shorts with the loose fit casual tops from Foska

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to work with a woman who said she was following a diet which had the core principle that you could basically eat as much bread as you wanted.
Don't remember what the theory was. That it was relatively low in fat (compared to chips?) maybe.

Don't remember if she said what this diet was called - I assumed (pre widespread internet) that she'd got it out of a mag.
The 'Fat Arse' plan :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
52 and wear my lycra with pride, I'm old enough not to care what anyone thinks :laugh:
The first time is a bit daunting but once you've made the leap of faith there is no going back... Oh and agree with Vickster, DO NOT GET WHITE SHORTS unless you have something to shout about.
And that isn’t a hairy bum crack - not a good thing to a shout about to any poor cyclist with the misfortune of following you :ohmy:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
And that isn’t a hairy bum crack - not a good thing to a shout about to any poor cyclist with the misfortune of following you :ohmy:
And to think I thought of you as such a nice person. Next you'll be telling us you as @Saluki called it 'Bike Tarting' where you stand on the pedals and 'wiggle' after passing a fanciable bloke. :laugh:

Top Bottom