How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On your 100th birthday is a good time to retire the Lycra

and ride naked round the nursing home...

I continue to make lycra look good. To spice things up during the lockdown I have been developing a new look to replace Blue Steel.

Miko1806

Regular
52 and wear my lycra with pride, I'm old enough not to care what anyone thinks :laugh:
The first time is a bit daunting but once you've made the leap of faith there is no going back... Oh and agree with Vickster, DO NOT GET WHITE SHORTS unless you have something to shout about.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve never worn Lycra, except cycling shorts which I wear under a pair of MTB shorts.

I suppose it’s because I’m not really a sports cyclist, I just enjoy a bit of cycling.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I think in both cases it’s a fear of being ridiculed that prompts the question.
In was thinking in the context of functionality. I suspect you get to a point where over a certain weight the downward force is such that any reduction in drag from wearing lycra is negligable. Probably isnt a reality unless over 25stone but I dare say there are some.

52 and wear my lycra with pride, I'm old enough not to care what anyone thinks :laugh:
The first time is a bit daunting but once you've made the leap of faith there is no going back... Oh and agree with Vickster, DO NOT GET WHITE SHORTS unless you have something to shout about.
Knew a woman who sometimes wore silver lycra shorts. Couldn't help but think of bacofoil. Pretty sure she ditched them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In was thinking in the context of functionality. I suspect you get to a point where over a certain weight the downward force is such that any reduction in drag from wearing lycra is negligable. Probably isnt a reality unless over 25stone but I dare say there are some.
I thought the primary motivation for leisure cyclists wearing Lycra was comfort? I don’t think persons of a more portly build are really interested in going .003% faster are they?

Miko1806

Regular
I thought the primary motivation for leisure cyclists wearing Lycra was comfort? I don’t think persons of a more portly build are really interested in going .003% faster are they?

It is definitely a comfort thing, decent quality supportive lycra bib shorts can make a 100 mile cycle ride achievable and enjoyable,
loose fitting shorts / boxers and even padded undershorts can and do lead to serious chafing, I have been there and its not pretty.
Close fitting jerseys etc IMO just help with wind resistance and keeping you as aero as possible and looking pro :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
All the time.But once near my destination a cafe or shop.off the bike and put a pair and shorts on.Which I have carried on the saddlebag.

Rusty Nails

We remember
I'm 16.07 stone 60 years old and have never stopped wearing spandex. I'm not about to start worrying what others think, and yes I wear lots of pink. View attachment 533671

Nothing wrong with the lycra, but the full colour matching is way OTT. :ohmy:

I take a perverse delight in mis-matching my cycling clothes when I go for a ride e.g red jersey, black shorts, blue socks and orange/pink helmet just to hear my wife say "have you looked in a mirror at all?" There is no need for an answer.

Top Bottom