How old were you when you got your first proper bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
First proper bike was when I was 4 or 5. Must have been about 1958/9.
Built by ex Olympic racer Tommy Godwin at his shop in Kings Heath, Birmingham to my Dad's specification.
He and Tommy were old mates from their cycling club post war.
I think it had 20" wheels. I remember it was blue, with caliper brakes and mudguards.
Wish I had it now, for old times sake.

kipster

Guru
My first bike was a silver road bike, brand was non descript, I was probably ten. Once I was tall enough I inherited my fathers 5 speed falcon road bike, we also built up a Holdsworth as a 'teach me how all things bike work' bike.

alicat

Legendary Member
When I was 8 my parents bought the four of us an orange-gold Moulton Mini. My older brother was too scared to ride a bike and my younger sisters were too small for it so it was effectively mine. I grew out of it/it died of parental neglect when I was about 13.

I could only have another one if it cost less than £5 so I had to wait until I went to college and bought myself a purple Vindec sit up and beg bike.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was 10, got it for passing my 11+ (Yes I know, but with my real birthday when it is, late in the academic year, I did my O-levels at 15 and A-levels at 17, and got my professional qualification, not awarded until you were 21, at 20.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My first bike was a Triumph Rodeo when I was eleven.
View attachment 361653

I couldn't ride when I picked it from the shop but at the end of the two mile journey home I could.

I found an old photo today of me on it.
Can anyone ID my friend's bike? Think it may have been a BSA.
IMG_20170712_142703.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I bought a new Townsend MTB c1995. Really just a bit above BSO territory but it was the best I could afford at the time and I rode it quite a bit until I started driving and years later rescued it from my parent's coal shed when I started cycling again as an adult. It remains the only bike I ever bought new.

Half the enjoyment of cycling for me is making bikes from what others throw in the skip. I still ride cobbled together bikes.

gbb

Legendary Member
About 42.
Always had cobbled together stuff as a kid in the 60s and 70s....progressed over my 20s and 30s to second hand Raleighs or Carlton Racers, mostly for commuting on and off over the years, then got my first ever new bike at 42...a Raleigh Chimera. £250, 8 speed Sora....a rock solid bike that did me many thousands of miles..

First road bike was a Carrera Valor from Halfords. I ended up having it refunded after several weeks due to issues with the rear wheel. I then ended up buying a Claud Butler San Remo which was great. I also had a load of MTBs and BMXs as a kid but those were probably just BSOs for riding around the streets.

Top Bottom