How Steep is...'Steep!?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Th steepest I think I've been up is a 21% (about 1 in 4.75). I remember when my flat bar road bike (now dropped) got stuck in the 39T chain ring on one of these climbs, it certainly felt 'steep' then.

In general and I don't know why I can breeze up some supposed to be steeper gradients where other lesser gradients seem hard. I try not to think whether a hill is steep or not until I've downloaded the recorded garmin edge output to the PC.

Skip Madness

RedBike said:
The hills in the peaks are generally short, sharp and steep. For example, I belive the maxium gradient on Mount Ventoux is only 10%. So in theory Ventoux is never as steep as your 12% hill. (Probably 20 times longer though).
This profile from this page indicates that the Ventoux's steepest pitch is actually 12% as well (for the sake of pedantry):

MontVentoux1.gif

The website it comes from, APM, is a work of art.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

marinyork said:
Yeah definitely on a long ride.

They are all regarded as nasty round there. Baslow hill is regarded as bad, probably as it's a more common route. Beeley and Sydnope are nasty, especially Sydnope. Looking at the other hills you've done recently I don't think you'd have any more trouble doing Beeley. They are all about 600 or 700ft, just plain hard but you've already done a few like that.

Thanks! I think I'll try beeley this week...maybe...

I'm gonna try and do a 35 miler to Elton cafe so I may swing back from there and see how it works!! :wacko:

colly

Re member eR
a_n_t said:
depends how fit you get!
10% seemed steep to me at first, now they are easy!
15% still not "steep" but getting harder.
over 20% is steep for me now but do-able
done a few 25-30% and they're horrible [but strangely addictive!]

That is SO true !

jimboalee

I can only agree about the relationship with where you usually ride.

In 1998, riding the TdF route up the Wicklow Gap, I was joined by a group from Essex. They really suffered, as apposed to me who rode the Castleton Classic and Tour de Cotswolds shortly before the trip to Dublin.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
mickwood said:
Thanks! I think I'll try beeley this week...maybe...

I'm gonna try and do a 35 miler to Elton cafe so I may swing back from there and see how it works!! :biggrin:

The bacon and mushroom butties are ace.:ohmy:

Beeley's a nice climb, go on and get yourself up it!:biggrin:

doyler78

Did a quick skim over this so don't think it has been clarified so apologies if it has but are the gradients that you are all referring to for those climbs in Britain average or max gradients?

a_n_t

doyler78 said:
are the gradients that you are all referring to for those climbs in Britain average or max gradients?

definately max!

doyler78 said:
Did a quick skim over this so don't think it has been clarified so apologies if it has but are the gradients that you are all referring to for those climbs in Britain average or max gradients?

a_n_t said:
definately max!
I remember watching a stage in the vuelta and for the last x kilometers it averaged 21%, maxing at 24%, now that is steep ;)

yenrod

asterix said:
It is relative as you say. However, 12% is a definite incline in anyone's opinion I'd suggest.

If you want really steep then we'd be talking about 20% e.g. Winnatts or 25% White Horse Bank, even 33% Rosedale Chimney Bank.

The continental climbs are less steep but go on for a lot, lot longer.

Thats what I like...

gbs

Guru
Eat MY Dust said:
The highclere challenge boast 2 climbs, one of 20% and the other 30%. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but there was a lot of seasoned cyclist walking up them (the 30% one anyway) I managed to grind my way up (just!!)

Well done! By 30 % :thumbsup:D assume you mean 30m altitude gain (climb) for every 100m horizontal gain. What chainwheel:cog sizes did you use?

Top Bottom