How Steep is...'Steep!?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
gbs said:
Well done! By 30 % :thumbsup:D assume you mean 30m altitude gain (climb) for every 100m horizontal gain. What chainwheel:cog sizes did you use?

TBH I only know what I was told. I've actually no idea how this all works!!;)

I was using 34,25. It was the most physically challenging things I've done in my life! I had done very little training for the whole event other than my commute and a couple of 50 milers. The 1st 40 miles were OK, it was the last 80 that did me in! If you like hills it's a great event.

Will1985

Über Member
mickwood said:
If your from Norfolk then your perception of hilly and steep will be different than if your from the Lakes?
Norfolk is not flat like East Lincolnshire, but gently rolling +-25m! There aren't really any challenging hills but the steepest I can think of is Gas Hill in Norwich - 15-20% for 200m but due to its length you can attack it fairly easily.

However, when I came to university my perception of steep and hills definitely changed and now I can cope with them better.

Tynan

Veteran
Ditchling is the steepest I've tried, far harder toward the end of the L2B and with people all over it, I fancy another go with FNRTTC, even using a double this time

A long time ago on an MTB I got off on Suicide Hill heading to Highgate, there's a shocker running from Tufnell Park up the side of Highgate Cemetary

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is the top of the 25% section of Mytholm Steeps on the outskirts of Hebden Bridge.

620420865_cd3cef6bbb.jpg

That one certainly blows the cobwebs out... ;)

This is Midgley Road up from Mytholmroyd. It maxes out at about 18%.

midgley_road.jpg

This is the top of Horsehold Road, across the valley from Mythom Steeps. I reckon that it is close to 25% up there.

horsehold_road.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
I dimly remember Hebden Bridge as somewhere made up entirely of rain, moors and hills

my regular route these days has almost no hills whatsoever other than some inclines, and I like that very well, I get the Bow Flyover to practice climbing on

yello

I used to ride around Highgate, there are some tough climbs there.

For me, it's not just the percentage or the length, there's something about the composition that makes a climb hard. For instance, I have a couple of climbs near me of a couple of km each, they average maybe 6 or 7% but have sections of 12 or 13%. They're challenging, especially when I'm tired, but nothing I'm not now used to. It's fairly easy to drop into a steady rhythm on those.

Far harder for me is a short stretch of road, and I'm taking a couple of hundred meters, of 9 to 13% that follows a longish incline of 6%. I can't get that one right. It still does me.

There's also a few short sharp climbs of 18, 19 & 21%. I can climb those on fixed (63") - but only because they only require balls out effort for 10 or so seconds.

But, yes, as a general statement, I consider 12% as "steep". ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tynan said:
I dimly remember Hebden Bridge as somewhere made up entirely of rain, moors and hills
Hills? What hills! This is a typical flat Hebden Bridge street...

highfield_crescent.jpg

I took the picture at the weekend. I've been walking past that street for 20 years and I've never been up it because it is a cul-de-sac, but it suddenly struck me that I ought to have a go at cycling up it this year! I reckon it is close to 30%. I'll take a stroll over there with my GPS and measure it some time.

jay clock

Massive member
Last year in NZ I had the steepest hill of my laden touring life - 3.7km from sea level to 370m, but the first 1km was flat so that makes the rest about 14% average. I resorted to 250m then a stop and a rest. Air temperature was over 30degC and bike had about 17kg on it.

At least it was tarmac-ed! It was only done a couple of years back. I did an analysis of it on mapmyrun.com and it peaks at 19%!! see here and click on elevation on the right to see the profile http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/nz/coromandel/740915953612

for some reason if in miles it is 18%, but 19% in km.

Definitely agree with the comments re it's what you are used to. I always considered myself to be a reasonable climber, but when I first moved to West Somerset/North Devon (Quantocks, Brendons, Exmoor etc.) I rapidly revised that viewxx(

However, after 3 years here, I now find myself seeking out new hills to "test" (not difficult, on basis that none of my rides have any flattish stretch of more than 0.5 mile, and 15%-20% hills and 1 to 3 mile climbs abound):evil:

...and remember, if you go up, there should be a glorious descent;) (assuming your start and finish are the same).

Domino

Veteran
The hill out my village on the O/S map says at least says 14% (but I suspect a few bits are slightly more and it's an average). I can do it using the granny ring on my Giant every time but I'm sweating like a good un. But my 16 year old 35lb 3 gear city bike jallopy is a no go. I've never managed it on that and have to get off and walk every time. Well it's got full mudguards and keeps the splatter off! The steepness does depend on the bike as well.

Randochap

Senior hunter
This is the 18% section of Hydro Hill, on Highway 4, from Port Alberni to Tofino, Vancouver Island. While it isn't the steepest climb on VI by a long shot, it is pretty sustained.

SH-P5262872.jpg

As you can see, one decent is followed by another huge climb, so you can't escape the pain, either way.

This shot is taken on the return from Tofino, at the 225km mark of the Pacific Rim" 600km Randonnee. Note rider. This is just one hill of hundreds, including two major passes, on the route for a total of 4700m (15,420 ft) of climbing.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Imagine my disapointment. I'd ridden up and down some fairly steep roads, only to find this one was a one way street - DOWN.
What spoilsports!
There's a hill in Harlech that's signposted 40%, and that's one way downhill as well :tongue:

Top Bottom