How Steep Is "Steep"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Plan was for a blue Cyclists Dismount sign at the bottom.

On Salterhebble Hill? :rolleyes:

To be fair, if I was riding I that way regularly , I'd be more tempted to take Rookery Lane / Farrar Mill Lane and eventually pop out on Shay Syke near the bottom of Hunger Hill. Or wasn't there talk of a cycle route along the valley bottom?

Those posts led to some interesting Google results ... I know of a Clarion House on a hillside above Nelson but it isn't on Jinny Lane and the hill isn't super-steep either.

View attachment 402373
So I searched and found the one that you were both talking about. I think I have ridden down Jinny Lane, but never up it.

View attachment 402390

The ramp at the top averages 15% for 320 metres. It probably has sections nearer to 20%, so I would describe it as 'steep, but not super-steep'.

I'm sure that @classic33 won't mind a little diversion here ... :whistle:

The history of Clarion House ... Fascinating stuff! - I don't know how I had never read anything about it before. I will have to call in there on one of my forum rides - I know that @Littgull will be interested in joining me. It is a lovely area to cycle in.

A very interesting read. Yes I would definitely be 'up' for climbing that one, Colin - if you'll pardon the pun ^_^

The steepest hill I've ever seen is in Snowdonia when I was on holiday last summer. It is in Harlech and called Fford Pen Lech. Although I took my mtb on holiday it wasn't with me in Harlech as we were driven there on a day out by my son and daughter in law in their car. I took a picture and will try and upload it. The road sign states 40% but it is reckoned to be rounded up from 36.6% to avoid confusing motorists. I walked up it and by heck was it tough. I'd love to have attempted it on my bike though.

Attachments

• Harlech Steep Hill.jpg
    Harlech Steep Hill.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 74

Milzy

Guru
What's a serious cyclist? Never tells jokes? Perpetual frown?
Haha

They have a direct drive smart turbo trainer and are constantly on Zwift. They never ride slow enough to smell the roses. They quote “It’s all about performance.” They like to wear Assos and Rapha. They ride a sportive like it’s a major spring classic.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Yes colin, the clarion house history is interesting. Jinny lane is on an around pendle route of mine, though i had to abandon it last time due to misbehaving gears on a bike build. Hope to do it this year. I was on a bus somewhere near burnley a few years ago and an old couple were off for a cup of tea there, no doubt planning to use the now axed bus. Do pause awhile in the garden if on the way up.
The whole area is steeped in cycling of course, clarion, sadly missed karrimor, carradice.
Back to steep or not so steep :smile: hills.

Anyone visiting Clarion House, give me a shout as it’s half a mile from my abode ^_^:becool:

I would definitely class Jinny Lane as steep, as is an adjacent climb from Barley up to Newchurch.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The steepest hill I've ever seen is in Snowdonia when I was on holiday last summer. It is in Harlech and called Fford Pen Lech. Although I took my mtb on holiday it wasn't with me in Harlech as we were driven there on a day out by my son and daughter in law in their car. I took a picture and will try and upload it. The road sign states 40% but it is reckoned to be rounded up from 36.6% to avoid confusing motorists. I walked up it and by heck was it tough. I'd love to have attempted it on my bike though.
I walked down that and then back up it again in 2012. It is actually one-way to vehicles (down only!) and the sign at the top suggests that it isn't a good idea to even do that!

I wouldn't dare attempt 40% now. I can still cope with 20% and maybe have a go at 25% but 40% would cause my heart some serious stress. It hasn't been quite right since my pulmonary embolism of 2012, which coincidentally was caused by a DVT picked up on the journey down for that Welsh holiday!

Anyone visiting Clarion House, give me a shout as it’s half a mile from my abode ^_^:becool:

I would definitely class Jinny Lane as steep, as is an adjacent climb from Barley up to Newchurch.
Will do!

PS Has there been any improvement with your bad leg? I'd still like to do that Harrogate route you suggested, in a few months time.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Will do!

PS Has there been any improvement with your bad leg? I'd still like to do that Harrogate route you suggested, in a few months time.

Still working on it Colin. Been to the doctor, have blood tests being done and an MRI scan booked. Have had a bike fit to see if that helps.
Current sitrep is abductors cramping any time from 12 miles onwards, which is severely curtailing my cycling activities :sad:

ColinJ

Still working on it Colin. Been to the doctor, have blood tests being done and an MRI scan booked. Have had a bike fit to see if that helps.
Current sitrep is abductors cramping any time from 12 miles onwards, which is severely curtailing my cycling activities :sad:
Well, fingers crossed that it is something that shows up in tests while you are not actually pedalling. Good luck, and I hope to be riding with you again later in the year!

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
On Salterhebble Hill? :rolleyes:

To be fair, if I was riding I that way regularly , I'd be more tempted to take Rookery Lane / Farrar Mill Lane and eventually pop out on Shay Syke near the bottom of Hunger Hill. Or wasn't there talk of a cycle route along the valley bottom?
Aye

That's all there was, talk.

ColinJ

I thought that there already IS a cycle path along the valley bottom? I'm sure that I once cycled from Copley to near the railway station. Yes, indeed there is ... route 69 - how could I forget that one! :whistle:

Copley path.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
Salterhebble Hill (the OP): 0.4km + 33m [Crocodile Dundee II 'That's not a hill!]
Porlock Hill is a challenge
2.4km + 283m (Porlock, N Devon - from the Ship Inn to the cattle grid).
Hardknott (E-bound): 2.2km + 289m (from the telephone box)
Hardknott (W-bound): 0.9km +131m (final steep hairpins section)
Rosedale Chimney (NY Moors): 0.7km + 103m (cattle grid to the car park (on R))
Bushcombe Lane (NE of Bishop's Cleeve, nr Cheltenham) 1.1km + 131m
Salcombe Hill (E from Sidmouth up to the observatory): 1.2km + 145m
Lynmouth Hill (N Devon): 0.4km + 78m - this climb is one of several hard ones (in a 20km+600m section) faced in the 'Valley of the Rocks' audax - 205km with 3900m of climb - next edition - 28 April - organised by @Ian H - details. I plan to have a 25" gear to help me up.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Salterhebble Hill (the OP): 0.4km + 33m [Crocodile Dundee II 'That's not a hill!]

2.4km + 283m (Porlock, N Devon - from the Ship Inn to the cattle grid).
Hardknott (E-bound): 2.2km + 289m (from the telephone box)
Hardknott (W-bound): 0.9km +131m (final steep hairpins section)
Rosedale Chimney (NY Moors): 0.7km + 103m (cattle grid to the car park (on R))
Bushcombe Lane (NE of Bishop's Cleeve, nr Cheltenham) 1.1km + 131m
Salcombe Hill (E from Sidmouth up to the observatory): 1.2km + 145m
Lynmouth Hill (N Devon): 0.4km + 78m - this climb is one of several hard ones (in a 20km+600m section) faced in the 'Valley of the Rocks' audax - 205km with 3900m of climb - next edition - 28 April - organised by @Ian H - details. I plan to have a 25" gear to help me up.
Incline more than hill then?

Should it pose a challenge for even serious cyclists?

Top Bottom