How Steep Is "Steep"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Should it pose a challenge for even serious cyclists?
No (since you reiterate the question). Most cyclists should be able to ride up there with a bit of effort. Plenty of climbs similar to that (climb in distance) in Exmouth (and no doubt many other towns across the country) which riders manage day in, day out.
Think you'd have to be a 'serious' and well-geared cyclist to manage any of the climbs I listed, though.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Er, I think that was classic's point! :okay:

It was someone else suggesting that cyclists should get off the busy 'steep' road ... I suspect that it was somebody on Calderdale council? :whistle:
Someone who doesn't cycle, on Calderdale Council.

Salterhebble Hill is steep, but I've seen plenty of cyclists tackling it - although more probably avoid it due to the crappy road layout and amount of traffic. Be interesting to see if the improvements make any change to that.

I'd rather cycle up Salterhebble than the nearby Trooper Lane or Shidben Wall...

https://cyclinguphill.com/trooper-lane/

I'm sure that this video has ben posted before, but here we go anyway:

Trooper Lane is bad enough in a car, I've run up it, during a race ('Bluebell Trail 10') & it's a bugger!
That said, the descent down the Magna Via is marvellous (aka Dark Lane) off the eastern side of Beacon Hill

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Trooper Lane is bad enough in a car, I've run up it, during a race ('Bluebell Trail 10') & it's a bugger!
That said, the descent down the Magna Via is marvellous (aka Dark Lane) off the eastern side of Beacon Hill
Members of the old C+ forum may remember me getting into a gearing argument in the mid-2000s with someone who had done hill repeats on Trooper Lane in a silly gear (42/23, something like that) and complained about his legs hurting! :laugh:

Members of the old C+ forum may remember me getting into a gearing argument in the mid-2000s with someone who had done hill repeats on Trooper Lane in a silly gear (42/23, something like that) and complained about his legs hurting! :laugh:

I can agree with that!
Circa 1990-1992, a trio of us did a circular ride
Wakefield - DenbyDale - Holmfirth - HolmeMoss - Glossop - Snake Pass - Strines - Penistone - Wakefield

My bottom gear was 42 x 21
Ewden Heights (Strines) hurt. A lot.................

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can agree with that!
Circa 1990-1992, a trio of us did a circular ride
Wakefield - DenbyDale - Holmfirth - HolmeMoss - Glossop - Snake Pass - Strines - Penistone - Wakefield

My bottom gear was 42 x 21
Ewden Heights (Strines) hurt. A lot.................
I was happy enough to get up Strines on a bike with a triple chainset!

Top Bottom