How Steep Is "Steep"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I'm somewhat jealous of all you chaps moaning about all the steep climbs near to you, it's a good hour or so's ride to the nearest one for me!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I doubt that I will ever dare to try those really tough climbs now because my heart and lungs have never fully recovered from the damage done by blood clots in 2012/2013. I can get away with 15-20% if I warm up adequately and I would still have a go at 20-25%, but climbs of > 25% would probably trigger off heart rhythm problems again unless I use a gear even lower than the twiddly 25 inch gear that I normally use on steep climbs.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I've just discovered there's no such thing as a three chevron hill. That would "just" be a one chevron hill followed closely by a two (or vice versa). The only OS symbols are > and >>
It's Michelin that has a triple arrow classification; it means roughly the same as a OS single arrow. Their arrows point uphill, not downhill, which gave me quite a surprise on my first trip to France.

This is the only col I know of in France which has triple arrows on both sides:

ColStThomas.JPG

It's in an obscure corner of the northern Massif Central, about 25 miles south-east from Vichy. The numbers look quite modest, even if it's unusually steep for France, but I'm still glad to have it on my "done" list.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I was giving this some thought while out on Sunday. I came to the conclusion my personal calibration is: If I use my bottom gear, it's steep. If I have to stand up periodically, it's quite steep. If I have to stand up, pull faces and weave around, its really steep. If I get off and walk, it's really jolly steep.

So after careful observation of what my fingers and legs were doing (they arrange the gear changing between them, I have no input) I conclude that anything above 7-8% is steep. Quite steep kicks in at around 12-15%, but becomes really steep if it persists for over 1km. There was nothing really or jolly steep on Sunday.

Edit, from memory, there are short bits of Leith and White Down that are really steep, but mostly they are quite steep.
Best answer yet.

Tim Hall

I was on a tandem club ride once which went along Ranmore Common in a westerly direction and then turned left towards Whitedown Hill. I'd lost touch with the rest of the group and failed to spot that they'd turned off onto a bridleway. I got to the bottom of Whitedown Hill, which was fun, waited and waited and waited. A passing Hairy Motorcyclist informed me that my chums were waiting at the top, so I then rode back up Whitedown Hill, which was a different kind of fun.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Ho hum! Climbed this twice from the Eskdale side on consecutive days - we were staying about three miles away. The trick is to use the "flat" bits of the hairpins as a launch and ignore cars descending. Just keep riding and force them to give way, dismount and you'll never get back on..

The conditions were a bit grim. I had to walk down most of it as I couldn't brake.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I class myself as a commuting cyclist and living in Denmark we dont have much in the way of mountains.

But I think I have found the secret to riding up steep hills. The secret is to read nothing about it before you arrive. Start in a low gear at the bottom and spin to the top.

I went and rode up Monte Grappa last year. I got to the top and had a walk around the momument and came down again. I did the same again a couple of days later. It was only after I got home did I read the horror stories and how difficult it is to ride. Im pleased I didnt read about it before I went up.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=mont...AhUzyqYKHb_CDxkQ9QEIRDAE#imgrc=ofrZTqP03SAHYM:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I drove down a 20% in North Devon a few weeks back... Not Porlock... I thought that was steep until I went up the other side which stated 25%!

I'll try and work out where it was...

Julia9054

Guru
I tried Boltby Bank (number 54 in some list of 100 climbs) last week. Got about half way before having to stop. It gets extra steep just at the top. I was pushing at that point. Rather disappointed in myself.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Descending from the Quantock Hills down into Crowcombe yesterday: 180m in 1.3km (cattle grid to T junction). Have never climbed it but as we descended at speed a vintage tractor rally chugged up, testing those 50+ year old engines, and the patience of the cars following them.

Top Bottom