How the F word do you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
use a two way pump. After taking the sirrus (that is a bit small for me) out of the shed and deciding I should use it anyway. I have found the tyres are down a bit. Now when I bought the thing, I bought a two way pump with a gauge. A bike hut one. It has a lever which seems to secure it to the valve. Do you do that before you start pumping are just to check the psi. Really getting pi$$ed off with this thing, I knew I should have just stuck to the jogging malarky.
Advice pleaseeeeee
Roy

Sorry about the stoopid question........

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not a daft question, we've all been there, or somewhere similar...:smile:

If it's what I think you mean, you generally push the head onto the valve, and pull the lever up to lock it on while you pump. The gauge will read the pressure after your first pump stroke (ooo err) and then go up as you pump more... (I say matron!) Which sort of valve is it? Shraeder (like a car, a thickish valve) or Presta (more spindly?) If it's Presta, remember you have to unscrew the little nut on the ned of the valve to get air in.

When you say 'two way pump', do you mean it fits either valve, depending on which head you use, or it has two holes or something like that?

It's all a bit hard to describe without pictures...

here are the two sorts of valve anyway:

pv_sv.gif

andyfromotley

ahhhhhh.... using those track pumps is really advanced maintenance, for which i rely on mickle.

However, in his absence, push the pump onto the valve, then open the lever (so that it sticks out.) Then pump, even if you hear air leaking out this should stop after one or two pumps. If it doesnt try to waggle the lever ever so slightly.

Its not stoopid, my thing drives me to bl00dy distraction!

andy

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ah excellent, it's a presta and I hadn't opened the nut, so tha explains it. 2 way as in it should pump air on each stroke .......:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Jogger said:
I unscrewed the little nut and the *u*king thing is flat now fffffffffflip it...
I'm a ****ing nut

been there, done that.

Just push the pump head on hard, lock it, and pump away.

*goes off for a cold shower*

Does your pump fit both Schrader and Presta valves??

On the little hand pump ;) I have, you have unscrew the valve on the pump, then flip the inside over depending on which valve you require.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
No, you just take the cap out and it fits over the valve,....goes to check

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
No, I don't think so, I would probably not have a problem if Halfords staff didn't throw away the instructions when they fitted it. Halfords! never ever again..........

Moonlight

Are you sure, mate? If the valve is set up to Schrader (which it will be by default) then you need to unscrew the cap, take out the rubber, take out the plactic pointy thing and switch it round, and then also switch round the rubber thing, and put them back in, then screw the cap back on.

Moonlight's description is a lot better than mine.

I've managed to take a photo of my dissected pump... the pointy end of the green plastic thingy is for schrader and the fat end is for presta.

To get the piece of rubber out, it helps if you pull the lever out... once you've unscrewed the cap.

Hope this helps... good luck.

If all fails... get a track pump like one of these. It fits both valves with no messing about.

It'll also save you a lot of hard work and get your tyres pumped up to 100+ psi... something your hand pump won't be able to do!

Top Bottom