How tight are you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm out in the workshop banging, sweating and generally making a racket. Mrs D sticks her head in and asks what I'm doing...

"Sharpening these old Stanley blades", was my reply.

Now, Mrs D has this funny idea that this is unreasonably tight, verging on stupid. She clearly has no idea.

So what do you do to save a few shekels that others might think a bit too tight?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I sew Mr WD's pockets up. This prevents him from being able to put money of even the smallest amounts in his pockets, thereby saving me much money.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I'm out in the workshop banging, sweating and generally making a racket. Mrs D sticks her head in and asks what I'm doing...

"Sharpening these old Stanley blades", was my reply.

Now, Mrs D has this funny idea that this is unreasonably tight, verging on stupid. She clearly has no idea.

So what do you do to save a few shekels that others might think a bit too tight?
Very tight after today's fast ride

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't consider myself tight but do try to spend wisely.
However, one former colleague years ago was legendary. His car failed it's MOT on windscreen wipers. He went and brought some new ones, re-took the MOT, passed, then took them off, refitted his old ones and took the new ones back ...and got his money back.

When you could buy Ever Ready batteries in the cellophane wrapping, he'd buy a pack, carefully undo the packaging, use the batteries, place the old, same make batteries in the packaging and seal them. He'd then take them back and claim he'd got Çs instead of Ds...could he swap them ?, invariably they did. That way he got more for his money.

He had a mattess that was within a year of it's 25 year guarantee expiry...obviously he contacted them and complained about it' comfort or something...and got a replacement. Why wouldn't he? :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm tight as a gnat's chuff. My daughter caught me struggling with needles and thimbles and asked what I was doing. I said I was repairing the seam on my shoes. She asked why I didn't get the shoe bloke to do it. 'Because I know him,' I said, 'and he'd charge me forty quid or something.' Eyes rolled, exit stage left.

classic33

Leg End Member
Before it all went digital, I used to file those little pegs that controlled when your central heating switched on and off. You could then fit them closer together so the heating wasn't on for as long.
They still only lasted 15 minutes, the gubbings were behind the plate.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I am a “wee bit stingy” but not tight :angel:
Considering we live near Aberdeen (where every penny is a prisoner) not doing too bad.
I’s say Mr M is though :thumbsdown:
My sadly passed former colleague referred to Mr M as “tightwad”
I was “pin money” :ohmy:

"A Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all the generosity squeezed out of him" ^_^

Remember when a well known brand of crisps were running a promotion where random bags would have a little envelope inside containing a folded £5, £10 or £20 note? A friend was asked to leave Sainsbury's when he was busy individually weighing every bag on the scales in the greengrocery aisle trying to establish which ones were heavier, so likely to have some cash in....:whistle:

I was shocked - I'd have thought Sainsbury's was a bit expensive for him.

Top Bottom