How to age something.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This might appear daft, in fact, there's no doubt that it is indeed daft but here's a question for you hobbyists. How do you age wood? Seriously, how do you age wood? I need something (specifically? A pair of drum sticks) to look like they'd been around and used from about 1975. Any ideas? I'd stick them face down right into the soil and let them dry out (I've got until Christmas Day) but of course the rock-solid ground prevents that at the moment. So, diluted Marmite? Repeatedly wet and then dry in the oven? Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This might appear daft, in fact, there's no doubt that it is indeed daft but here's a question for you hobbyists. How do you age wood? Seriously, how do you age wood? I need something (specifically? A pair of drum sticks) to look like they'd been around and used from about 1975. Any ideas? I'd stick them face down right into the soil and let them dry out (I've got until Christmas Day) but of course the rock-solid ground prevents that at the moment. So, diluted Marmite? Repeatedly wet and then dry in the oven? Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.

People sometimes use tea to age paper. Wonder how it would work on wood?

D

Deleted member 26715

There's a guy on YouTube Engels Coach shop he's a wheelwright & often has to try to blend wood in. He uses vinegar & iron fillings I think it is.

alicat

Legendary Member
Googling 'distressing wooden furniture' might give you some good results. As well as acquiring colour, the drumsticks will need to be worn away in some places.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Some great advice here. To encourage my wife to join our drumming group, I drunkenly told her I could get her Karen Carpenter's drumsticks. Like a true cynic, she laughed at my boast and of course knows the drumsticks she'll be opening on Christmas day are as much Karen Carpenter's as the hair brush I promised her actually belongs to Arthur Scargill, but it's got to look like I've tried to age them!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Start drumming frantically with them. Keep it up until Christmas day.

presta

Guru
I once made a replacement for a broken saucepan handle from wood, but it got annoyingly sticky and resinous when warm. Anyhow, to try and get rid of the resin I simmered it in a pan of boiling water for a while, and that left it looking quite old (and got rid of the resin).

Are they varnished? If yes, sand lightly to get most of the varnish off, then soak in tea, let them dry and then a few coats of wood polish. Maybe go to a hardware supplier and get one of the pre-stained blocks of polish.

The ends you hold them at should need to be darker than the drum-hitting ends. Also, maybe do some drumming against some rough brickwork or concrete to scuff them up.

Top Bottom