How to behave when a big group of fast cyclists catches up with you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Is there a signal that I might have given to avoid the confusion?

IMG_0436.jpeg

Baldy

Über Member
Nor me (do the group thing)

I assume you are a driver who has not read the Highway Code ;)

Yes I have read the Highway code, can't say I've ever seen anyone actually use that signal though. I'd just assumed that he meant something more of an in group secret handshake kind of signal.

Solocle

Über Member
Are you sure it wasn't the back of the group moaning about the front of the group not warning them about the roundabout.

I had a group catch us at a roundabout when I was out with the OH, about a 1/3 of them came past and turned left, some were then level on my right, and some behind us. I very loudly announced "we're going straight across",. I think one of the group had to do a 450^ around the roundabout and take the 5th of 4 exits^_^ as he couldn't then pass behind us as the rest of the group did.

When doing LEJOG I escaped from a gaggle of bikers when I realised the front chaps who had passed me were pulling in for a café stop :laugh:

Milzy

Guru
I thought that was a picture of a cricket fast bowler initially. Also, I just saw @Milzy 's "Wheel Bearing Chat" thread and spent a while wondering what on earth a wheel-bearing hat was.

Fortunately I have an eye test booked for tomorrow. New specs I think.

I used 2 5mm Allen keys in the ends and it’s helped a lot. Least I know how to change the bearings if I need to now & the part codes.

Red17

Veteran
A lot of the problem with groups is that they ride so close to the riders in front that they rely on calls and signals as they cannot react in time otherwise.

If it was a group of cars travelling that close together we would call it tailgating, not group driving.

I have got the impression that cyclists in groups, of whatever kind, get into a herd mindset and have a tendency to ride badly or even agressively. This seems to apply at every level whether a genteel CTC ride, a group of youths, or serious racer types.

For clarity I, think this is instinctive behaviour for groups of monkeys, us humans included, and cycles are incidental

Late to the thread but this says it nicely. My post wouldn't be so nice. Mentioning no names cycling club in the South of the county!

However on a more serious note. Treat them as if they're self entitled motorists and expect the worst. I personally try to force the decision to overtake by showing right down. Like a dangerous car up my back wheel I prefer them in front than behind.

Other than that accept they have their own way of cycling as a team. It works to keep them safe mostly but everyone needs to take care of themselves so if they're behind you allow for that with predictable actions. Gesticulating to inform them of your attentions not two fingered though and above all ride that's safe for you. If you're a naturally conscientious rider anything that happens to them is then likely to few down to their bad judgement. Unfortunately we all have those moments and the more there to make the wrong decision the more chances of incident.

Above all any bad behaviour of a club group should get reported. Clubs have an awareness of reputational risks and a good one might appreciate a fellow cyclist raising the issue lest someone less favourable to cyclists raising the issue.

PS whilst trying to remain positive I realise my run ins with a cycle club may have inadvertently caused leakage of negativity. As an almost lifelong cyclist I'm pro cycling (I understand there was about 2 years of my life before I rode cycles, but I think my 2nd birthday I got a trike and never looked back, at least until called in that is).

rydabent

Veteran
It would depend on where you were riding. First of all, if they were "fast" riders, they should NOT be on a bike trail, so they would not be catching up with me. So being on a regular road, they should just follow the rules of the road, and pass safely when they can.

I did once see a group catching me up but they reached a distance behind me and maintained it for a minute or two then on a safe straight road they closed the gap quickly and overtook me in no time.

It was annoying because I thought I was holding them back but they were just keeping a safe space between us until safe for the whole group to pass. When that happened they left me in their wake realising I'll never be as fast as them.

I think this group had a good idea. You do not know how the cyclist above rides if merged with your group. To keep keep safe they separate from the cyclist ahead until clear to pass. I think that's a good idea for two groups of cyclists who probably don't share the same riding etiquette or style.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I did once see a group catching me up but they reached a distance behind me and maintained it for a minute or two then on a safe straight road they closed the gap quickly and overtook me in no time.

It was annoying because I thought I was holding them back but they were just keeping a safe space between us until safe for the whole group to pass. When that happened they left me in their wake realising I'll never be as fast as them.

I think this group had a good idea. You do not know how the cyclist above rides if merged with your group. To keep keep safe they separate from the cyclist ahead until clear to pass. I think that's a good idea for two groups of cyclists who probably don't share the same riding etiquette or style.

Remember those at the back of the group might be no faster than you. Riding in the draft of a largish group makes quite a difference to how much effort you need to maintain a speed.

This last bit is why you often get cut up by the last few in a group. They are hanging on for dear life, and if so much as a two foot gap opens up, they will be spat out the back.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to the above comment.

As someone who does a lot of group riding the front are usually quite organised and understand signals. However, as the group progresses down - unless they're rotating - the communication can disappear for various reasons. Also, the less experienced/less confident group members tend to stay towards the back and/or they're a bit slower. Inexperience, plus potentially missed communications, mean it's probably the worst place for a beginner to be as reactions are slower.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
+1 to the above comment.

As someone who does a lot of group riding the front are usually quite organised and understand signals. However, as the group progresses down - unless they're rotating - the communication can disappear for various reasons. Also, the less experienced/less confident group members tend to stay towards the back and/or they're a bit slower. Inexperience, plus potentially missed communications, mean it's probably the worst place for a beginner to be as reactions are slower.

its also harder at the back of a big group than nearer (but not at) the front, as a group tends to concertina as it accelerates away from junctions or crests hills etc and the further back you are, the harder the dig you have to put in to "keep the wheel".

Top Bottom