How to 'break' this magic link?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete99

Hi,
I had a new powertrain fitted at a shop a while back and would now like to do a 'deep clean' on the chain with it off. I had asked for a magic link to be fitted and this is what I have. The problem I have is that I can't figure out how to remove it to get the chain off. I'd appreciate some advice. This is the current, disgusting state of my chain, which I'm truly ashamed of!
DSC01117.jpg

There must be a simple solution but it escapes me! Thanks!

Pete

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

13 rider

Guru
I used this quick link once never again it took me that long to put it on :banghead:I never bothered to attempt to take it off so best of luck . Can't you just cleaned the chain throughly while it's on the bike . I never taken the chain off to clean it

Last edited:
OP
OP
pete99

pete99

Thanks for all the humorous replies to my first post. I think I 'get' that magic links aren't really magic. :becool: And that having a laugh at newbies is fine... I'm just soooo sensitive!

FWIW, I found this youtube which appears to be the same as my link: https://goo.gl/a725Vc. The solution seems to be 'bend the chain towards you to fit' and therefore, I'm assuming, bend it away from you to remove.

Reactions: gbb

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A "Deep clean" is a waste of time. White spirit and a paintbrush will do just as good a job and save a lot of hassle.

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for all the humorous replies to my first post. I think I 'get' that magic links aren't really magic. :becool: And that having a laugh at newbies is fine... I'm just soooo sensitive!

FWIW, I found this youtube which appears to be the same as my link: https://goo.gl/a725Vc. The solution seems to be 'bend the chain towards you to fit' and therefore, I'm assuming, bend it away from you to remove.
I wish I'd seen that before I struggled to put it on :laugh:. Yes I presume you can just reverse the process

gbb

Legendary Member

No, you still bend the chain towards you to fit it. In doing so you're bringing the two pins closer together, then the side plate goes on, release the chain and the pins swing back out, locking themselves into the plate.

Once you've done it, it's a piece of cake.

Andrew1971

Veteran
Hi @pete99
When you mean deep clean is that strip clean then rebuild if so put a new chain on.
That's what i do when my bike's get that dirty. That gear cable look's old. How many gear's 10,12 just curious.
Andrew

Top Bottom