How to 'break' this magic link?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may be wrong, but I am not sure that the link pictured in the OP is the same as the one in the video above. The one in the video looks like the familiar (to me anyway, as I use nothing else) KMC quick-link. I do not recognise the one in the OP. As for expensive special tools. I don't think a fiver is expensive for a tool that makes the job very simple indeed.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Thanks for all the humorous replies to my first post. I think I 'get' that magic links aren't really magic. :becool: And that having a laugh at newbies is fine... I'm just soooo sensitive!

FWIW, I found this youtube which appears to be the same as my link: https://goo.gl/a725Vc. The solution seems to be 'bend the chain towards you to fit' and therefore, I'm assuming, bend it away from you to remove.

Yes, hold either side of the link and bend the chain away from you. Under tension the magic link pins can not splay out because they are retained in place by the outer plate. This type of link has both pins on the inner link and bending the inner link away from you moves the two pins closer together so they can unlock from the outer plate.

On a KMC type of quick link, one pin is on both the inner and outer plates and the two plates can be slid sideways to shorten the distance between the two link pins and release them. The special pliers work well on this type of link but won't work on the type of link that you have.

Shimano chains are made differently from other manufacturers so that you cannot re-join the chain with a rivet that you have partially removed. You can re-join it with the Shimano tapered rivet joining pin that is driven into place and then the surplus length snapped off. You can use the other types of quick link instead if you prefer.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That looks like a Taya single use quick link. Shove a flat screwdriver into the link bend the chain away from you slightly and turn the screwdriver until it pops off. Then put it in the bin and fit a reusable from KMC or SRAM or other sane design.

Do not attempt to use a chain tool on a quick link as the pins are attached to the side plates! At worst, you will break the chain tool.

OP
OP
pete99

pete99

Thanks for all the cumulative advice. I was thinking of trying a good, deep, off-bike clean of the chain as it's started slipping under power. My post 10 suggested that breaking at the 'magic link' was the reverse of the youtube on fitting but I've tried and either my hands aren't strong enough or it just isn't. Anyway, seems like a new chain is the best, simplest solution so that's what I've done. I guess I may need a new cassette too but I'll try without. Same chain as in my photo is quite cheap - Shimano CN-HG40.

Thanks for all the suggestions... even the humourous ones!

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
pete99

pete99

Hi @pete99
When you mean deep clean is that strip clean then rebuild if so put a new chain on.
That's what i do when my bike's get that dirty. That gear cable look's old. How many gear's 10,12 just curious.
Andrew
Hi Andrew - just 6 (rear cogs). Not sure why I have a 'narrow' chain... fitted by a bike shop together with the cassette and front cogs. (I'm pleased to hear of other riders who are prepared to admit they let their bike get as dirty as mine! ^_^ Where I ride every other bike seems immaculate!)

Hi Andrew - just 6 (rear cogs). Not sure why I have a 'narrow' chain... fitted by a bike shop together with the cassette and front cogs. (I'm pleased to hear of other riders who are prepared to admit they let their bike get as dirty as mine! ^_^ Where I ride every other bike seems immaculate!)
:welcome:
I suppose those other bikes don't go out in the wet either, cleaned my bike Thursday with a bit of servicing on a few bits, went out yesterday as is always the case after a bit of work and or clean well put it this way by the time I got to Wakefield 12 miles or so I might as well have been swimming.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I'd say that if the chain is slipping then it and the sprockets are knackered. No amount of cleaning will fix that.
New chain and cassette/freewheel I think.
This. If your chain is slipping it is completely buggered or, if the chain is new, you have something else amiss in your drivetrain.

A deep clean would be like polishing a pair of boots to fix holes in the sole.

Top Bottom