How to complete a tax return with a missing P45/P60?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Do they have you on "self assessment" for some reason?

If on "normal" PAYE, I did not think you were called upon to submit an annual tax return?

I maybe (and often am) wrong of course.

I would echo @User14044's advice, phone them pronto.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd phone the HMRC straight away and explain that you are not working, have no income and are on benefits. You didn't think you needed to submit a return. Ask if you can appeal against the £100 fine. Do it now.....every day that passes they will add interest.

Do they have you on "self assessment" for some reason?

If on "normal" PAYE, I did not think you were called upon to submit an annual tax return?

I maybe (and often am) wrong of course.

I would echo @User14044's advice, phone them pronto

Great! I've just phoned them. I was met with a recorded message saying they can't reply due to the weather. Then the message asked me to say a few words as to why i'm calling. The bloody machine couldn't tell what i was saying so it hung up on me! According to the letter,they'll be charging me £10 a day till i pay up!:ohmy: Mrs Accy used to fill these forms in for me. I haven't avoided sending a return in, i just haven't had one. Or i have but it's been sent to one of my previous 2 addresses since me and her separated.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
Did not receive the return
Fire, flood or other natural disasters

How about if i tick those two? Both are right,because i personally haven't received one. Maybe it was sent to the address of the building we were forced to leave in July due to fire risks?
Did you tell them you’d moved?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
shoot,i've just received a letter from HR&C saying i've been given a £100 fine for not sending in my tax return on time. "Your tax return for the year ended 5 April 2017 was not sent in on time.Because of this a penalty of £100 is payable".
Any suggestions what to do,apart from just pay it?

Odd that you have received the penalty letter and not the return.

Anyway, from gov.uk

5. Reasonable excuses

You can appeal against some penalties if you have a reasonable excuse, for example for your return or payment being late.

What may count as a reasonable excuse
A reasonable excuse is something that stopped you meeting a tax obligation that you took reasonable care to meet, for example:

• your partner or another close relative died shortly before the tax return or payment deadline
  • you had an unexpected stay in hospital that prevented you from dealing with your tax affairs
  • you had a serious or life-threatening illness
  • your computer or software failed just before or while you were preparing your online return
  • service issues with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) online services
  • a fire, flood or theft prevented you from completing your tax return
  • postal delays that you couldn’t have predicted
  • delays related to a disability you have
You must send your return or payment as soon as possible after your reasonable excuse is resolved.

What won’t count as a reasonable excuse
The following won’t be accepted as a reasonable excuse:

• you relied on someone else to send your return and they didn’t
  • your cheque bounced or payment failed because you didn’t have enough money
  • you found the HMRC online system too difficult to use
  • you didn’t get a reminder from HMRC
  • you made a mistake on your tax return
I'd suggest you speak with HMRC as soon as you can. If they agree you do not need to send in an SA return, any penalties connected to the return should fall away. However there is a time limit.
You should also note that even if no tax is payable, if a return is required you will still be charged a penalty, subject of course to any appeal.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Phone them on Monday. I'm sure you'll get through....explain that all to them. Say that you want to appeal.

It can all be sorted - you just need to stay calm, explain the problem and ask them if they can help.
But won't they be charging me a tenner a day,including tomorrow and Sunday. I'm ranting here but i'm being penalised because they can't run a service because of "the bad weather"! What has bad weather got to do with answering phone calls i ask?!

It sounds like you file a paper tax return - the deadline was 31st October 2017 so you get fined £100 plus £10 a day.

You need to download a copy of SA100 and complete it together with your tax reference and employment details ASAP.

In my experience any excuses have to be genuine for the appeal to succeed - and not of the "wrong address" type.

It's probably of little consolation but one of my clients forgot to file the accounts for the service company that owns the freehold to his flat with Companies House - £1,500 smackers it cost him!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You need to download a copy of SA100

I can't do that. I don't know how to. If i send this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/680386/SA370__Appeal.pdf

in will that not do?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
But won't they be charging me a tenner a day,including tomorrow and Sunday. I'm ranting here but i'm being penalised because they can't run a service because of "the bad weather"! What has bad weather got to do with answering phone calls i ask?!

No, you are being penalised for not filing a return on time. The deadline was over a month ago; 31 January and any return you are required to submit could have been filed anytime from 6 April 2017.

Top Bottom